Craft Beer/Homebrew on "The Chew" Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdkc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On the daytime TV show "The Chew" today, they did a craft beer tasting, and then gave everyone in the studio audience a PicoBrew Model C home brewery! I was shocked and very jealous!

Tasting:

Stoup Robust Porter
Flying Monkeys Smashbomb Atomic IPA
Straßenbräu NB30 IPA
Lucky Envelope Helles Lager

(I would have tasted the Helles, then the Porter, then the IPAs...)

Wow, how many people were there in the audience? Isn't that like a $500+ piece of equipment? Not that I necessarily would want one, I'm just surprised at the generosity.

Wow, how many people were there in the audience? Isn't that like a $500+ piece of equipment? Not that I necessarily would want one, I'm just surprised at the generosity.

For something that very few of them will use. I guess a number of them will use it once and done. But I bet a lot of them will never use it. Maybe they will go to good homes by way of garage sales.

Looked like at least a couple hundred in the audience, and those sell for $550.

However, I'm no longer that jealous after learning a bit more about the PicoBrew...

PicoKits brew 5 liters of beer at 5 Gallon kit prices! (or more!)

Also... the only way to brew your own recipes is to have a PicoKit made of it! The on-line recipe generator is pretty limited and has some weird restrictions.

PicoKits are NOT reuseable/refillable.

Also the brewing instructions are coded into an RFID chip in the PicoKit.

Seems to be a pretty expensive and in-flexible method of brewing that does not lend itself to much customization, last minute changes, or creativity.

Back