Cracked flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
So, I cracked my 2000ml flask on my burner yesterday. My wife doesn't allow for starters inside the house due to smell. So, I've been searching for a way to heat on my blichmann burner outside. The first couple I used an old pizza pan to sit on and it worked well. However yesterday the pizza pan melted a few minutes into the boil. So, I pulled the pan off an sat the flask on the direct flame. Obviously this was a bad idea, because it cracked the flask. Any thoughts or how you make starters on an outdoor burner?

I use one of the small single-burner propane stoves that connect direct to a small disposable propane cylinder, like for camping. It's the perfect size to store away and brings anything in the flask to a quick boil. You probably already know but watch for boilovers, they happen really fast in the flask with that much heat.

Back