cracked corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost

Reaction score
I'll be using a lot of corn in the next couple batches and buying it at 1.50 per lb is a bit impractical. What's to stop me from buying a 50lb or 25lb bag of cracked corn from the feed store? Is that corn not safe for human consumption (i.e. pesticides, bugs, rat crap, etc.)?

PLEASE MAKE SURE IT IS FEED CORN.
if it is seed corn or is a little red it might have mercury on it as a preservative, I know it sounds rediculous but there was an incident in the 80's where the U.S. sent food relife to Africa and it was the wrong corn.

Feed corn it is then. We had chickens growing up and the stuff never seemed like it was anything but corn but I figured that you can never be too sure today that the mfg's aren't busy adding chemicals, preservatives and hormones to the feed.

I'm planning on using corn for 40-50% of the grainbill. Of course I think this calls for 6 row malt (which would be historically accurate anyway). I'm also thinking that a protein rest would be a good idea... I know a protein rest and a mashout would thin the mash pretty good and the 6 row would aid in lautering but am considering using the rice hulls. Does anyone think they're necessary? I'm using a manifold and not a false bottom BTW. Those rice hulls are getting expensive around here at $1.75 a lb...

edit: one more thing... when I cook it, do I boil it or just pasturize it? Is 2 hrs the minimum? How much water do I use and do I then add the whole lot of the slop into the MLT to be mashed with the 6 row?

I always thought it was Jimmy who did the cracking?

Anyway, this is not a pasturization step, you actually need to cook the corn until it's gelatinous goop.

Was it Jimmy? Well, even if Jimmy did it instead of Johnny, I still don't care :)

Personally, I think you'd be better off ordering some flaked corn in bulk from your LHBS (if they'll do it). I've pre-gelatinized wheat, and it's a real PITA. What I do is boil it gently on the stovetop until it puffs up and turns to goop, like the Chairman said. When using large amounts of adjuncts like that I've found I get about a 5% or so increase in efficiency by using a protein rest.

Let me put it this way, my mash will be more than 50% corn... I'm trying something different if you get my drift. So buying the amount of corn I need just isn't cost feasible if I'm paying $1.75 per lb.

:cross:

alemonkey said:
Johnny cracked it. And I don't care.
Jimmy cracked corn, and I don't care. Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care. Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care. My master's gone away.....;)

Lost said:
Let me put it this way, my mash will be more than 50% corn... I'm trying something different if you get my drift. So buying the amount of corn I need just isn't cost feasible if I'm paying $1.75 per lb.

:cross:

I have made "different" stuff out of cracked corn from the feed store, and it worked fine.

But I didn't mash it or add yeast. Just some sugar and wait for wild yeast to take over.

For, uhh, sanitation purposes, I then heated it and caught the vapors in a coil immersed in water...

Ugh, I hate the taste that corn imparts on beer. Are you making coors light? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems like you got a bunch of answers already. So, if you don't mind, what gives?

Back