Cracked a carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:'(

Has 20 LBs of honey in it too.... it is only cracked now.... I put it in the washbasin, and hope that the honey all dissolves so i can rack it out before the crack becomes a gaping hole! so much for vigorous shaking to keep the yeasts up! (or rolling on my part) I guess I had to learn sometimes :mad:

Seems like the best thing to do would be junk it all. I personally wouldn't risk having Me or any of my Family & Friends drinking down some glass that I can't see. Best to err on the side of caution.

Go and stand in the corner!
At 847 posts you've been around long enough and read enough on these boards to know better!

(That must be why I use the other type of carboy even if they are the type no-one owns up too). :eek:

Wow, only 4 posts until someone starts up with the "buy a better bottle" crap. It happens in every single broken carboy thread.

claphamsa, if it's just cracked and not leaking, then there's most likely no glass shards in the must, I would rack it through a coffee filter at most into another vessel.

did you bump it on something? or just shaking 20lbs of honey caused the crack?

Curious, because I used to shake the carboy like a crying baby, but I got an o2 setup which is much easier on my back.

I put it on its bottom edge and rolled it around a bit, no more lazy shaking :(

and the shaking isnt for O2 its to keep the meade yeasties in suspension so they work better (not sure if it really matters.......)

Back