crack in fermenter lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr jones

Reaction score
i was racking to my secondary about 10 minutes ago and i noticed that my fermenters lid had a crack on the lip. it looks like the seal is not compromised. just wondering if anyone else uses a cracked lid, or if i should get a new one. ohh my ale also tasted faintly of peanut butter (not the salmonella kind) never had that happen to me before.

-nick

its an american style ale pitched with safbrew -33 and dryhopped with ekg @ 4.5 AA

Interesting, are you sure its more of a peanut buttery taste or is it more of a yeasty/doughy taste?

Also, if the crack has been letting air in that does mean theres a possibility of infection, however it may be fine. Have you tried anything to see if air is getting in through the crack in the lid?

My guess is, FWIW, if no air is getting in/out from the crack in the lid and you sanitized properly then all will be well. In other words, RDWHAHB

That's fine. I never seal shut the lid on my bucket fermenter. I just place it over top of the bucket and I've never had a problem.

Back