Crack fries recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
Anyone? Referring to the FF they serve at Hop Cat with the cheese, bacon and peppers. The fries uncovered are awesome, but with the toppings (I want the cheese sauce recipe and the FF batter) they are downright a food group unto themselves...

I'm guessing that the seasoning is a mixture of salt, pepper, and sugar. Combine that with the fat from the fries and you have the holy grail of palate desires. I have no idea what the ratios are. Good luck!

Hmmkay...the fries are supposedly beer battered, but they have a sweetness and saltiness, even a dill taste - like vinegar and salt, with black pepper and sugar. still no clue how to make them...may just have to experiment

Internet search came up empty. I was sure someone had a reasonable equivalent by now! :(

I may have to make a trip down to GR and have a taste of these again. Try and reverse engineer the recipe...

As a beer loving 'Metro-Detroiter' I am both ashamed and embarrassed that I've never had them!

Much. Research. Needed.

In Louisville today and will probably swing by the newly opened Hopcat to do some research.

Anyone? Referring to the FF they serve at Hop Cat with the cheese, bacon and peppers. The fries uncovered are awesome, but with the toppings (I want the cheese sauce recipe and the FF batter) they are downright a food group unto themselves...

Even I love the cheese sauce and the FF batter. I'm thinking of adding juniper berries to the list of spice and herbs. What do you guys think? Will the juniper berries compliment the cheese sauce?

Went here (finally) with the family and HOLY CRAP are Crack Fries good! Plain or with toppings. Supposedly they are battered with a lager but the magic is truly in the seasoning. Salt, pepper and I sensed a bit of sweet. Almost like kettle corn - French fry version.

I never heard of the fries much less HopCat. A search showed me why. The closest location is not open yet in Royal Oak, Michigan. And to get there is 731 miles and goes through Canada. The farthest is Lincoln Nebraska at 1495 miles.......

I never heard of the fries much less HopCat. A search showed me why. The closest location is not open yet in Royal Oak, Michigan. And to get there is 731 miles and goes through Canada. The farthest is Lincoln Nebraska at 1495 miles.......

They are expanding, so cross your fingers. Every one of them I have visited has been great - good food, good service, and awesome beer selection. I have been to HopCat in Grand Rapids, MI (KBS week-woot!); Indianapolis,IN; and the one in Louisville, KY.

I think the seasoning is salt, sugar, cracked pepper, and either dill or some malt vinegar. I definitely pick up a 'pickle-esque' flavor, especially on the untopped fries.

Latest posts

Back