Crab apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whalenutz

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
last night i was drinking and got excited about crab apples, reason being was that the other day my next door buddy said i can pick his 20 year old crab apple tree, i got excited and was only able to get 4 one gallon zip lock bags, well there is aleast fifteen more gallons up there, what do i do to make apfilwine or beer, im leading toward a crabby day porttor, idk help

Start by chewing on a couple and think about how that would go in a beer. My guess is they'd work better in a hefe or maybe a light ale than a porter, but your call

crabs are usually bittersharps and dont make a great cider by themselves , but they can add flavor to sweeter apples. Depending on what you got, they might even make the crap juice that you can get in the supermarket taste decent. Mixes with crabs generally use them for 1/5 to 1/3 of the overall juice mix

You should try to get enough juice for a hydrometer, and test the sg. crab apples vary a lot in their tannin and usually have quite good sugar.

Start by chewing on a couple and think about how that would go in a beer. My guess is they'd work better in a hefe or maybe a light ale than a porter, but your call

crabs are usually bittersharps and dont make a great cider by themselves , but they can add flavor to sweeter apples. Depending on what you got, they might even make the crap juice that you can get in the supermarket taste decent. Mixes with crabs generally use them for 1/5 to 1/3 of the overall juice mix

I like the heff, good stuff

You should try to get enough juice for a hydrometer, and test the sg. crab apples vary a lot in their tannin and usually have quite good sugar.

I did not even think of doing so, thank you

Back