Craaazy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
Just have to say, I did a cream ale (search HBF caramel cream ale?) with wyeast 1007 german ale yeast as my 7th batch and I've never seen such a wild crazy active fermentation. I always use a blowoff tube because everyone says to but I've never needed it. Now with this batch I have all types of krausen and hops blowing through the tube into my gallon pitcher 1/3 full of water. It'll bubble then temporarily stop from a light foam clog and then blow out a huge bubble. I'm assuming this is all good and I'm not worried that my batch is gonna die or become infected. I just had to share this because I'm so pumped to have a need for the blowoff tube!

Yup,that's what they do,so no worries,m8. My wife's summer ale clone blew the lid off some 24 hours later,with blow off attached. Then,next morning was gunna blow the blow off out,but I just happened to come downstairs in time to catch it. And it used only one 7g ale yeast packet re-hydrated in 2C of boiled water to which 2tsp dextrose was added.
My Burton ale along side it used four 7g ale packets re-hydrated in the same manner. Lots of co2 blowing off with a little krausen. But no physical antics at all. Go figure?...

Every fermentation is different. I have had a fairly low gravity beer just go crazy and blow off, and had high gravity brews (that you would expect to blow off) just chug away slowly.

You never know. That is why I always stick a blow off tube one every brew.

Back