CPU fan size for stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmj1980

Reaction score
Hello I am attempting to build a stir plate but when i went to grab the old cpu fan from an old computer i noticed there where three all different sizes is one better than the other or does it even matter?

If it doesnt matter has anyone attempted a double sided stir plate since i have a couple of fan

ANY HELP WILL BE HELPFUL THANKS

Primary:NONE
Secondary:Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
On Tap:Anderson Valley Clone
:mug:

The size really only makes the difference in your box size. Bigger fans *may* have a bigger motor, but power isn't as important as controlling your RPM so you get the stir speed you want(not too low or too high).

As far as a double stir plate, I can't see why not. You'd just need to double the components and figure out the power setup that works best(be it independant of each other, bigger adapter, etc). I suck at electrical stuff, but I'm sure someone here can help you with that.

Cheers!

120 mm fan FTW

Here's a double set up I built using a single power supply:

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a 10 minute fix when I realized I was short by about 500ml the week of brew day. It was simple, just wiring the second one in parallel.

134373_616092608548_23709512_34345601_5231615_o.jpg

I'm buying a 2L flask this week, so hopefully my second gets retired.

As already stated, size won't matter too much. It's the speed. I have some large ceramic resistors in series with a potentiometer I had that wasn't quite big enough. The "sweet" spot for speed is right in the middle of my adjustment range.

EDIT: By large I mean in size, not resistance.

Did you have to modify the fans at all or is it as simple as powering them up and throwing in a stir bar?

No modification is required other than mounting the magnets on the face of the fan. This fan is supplied with a matching speed controller. The wiring is configured so you can daisy chain the power supply and it's plug and play. Actually very simple to put together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that setup. If mine wasn't free, I would definitely have went that route instead of matching pots and resistors. My buddy is trying to build one, I'm sending him the link.:mug:

I went with the DIY pot, speed control thing. I couldn't find a fan and power supply what worked together. so i said fuggit.

saw another thread here on HBT talking about it and I went for it.

best thing ever...

-=Jason=-

Back