CP's Lovebite Weizenbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anemic

Reaction score
This is next on my To Brew List. I would love to hear some feedback on it. I have searched HBT also NB, failed to score some feedback on somebody having brewed it from extract.

What I purchased is very similar to CP's recipe in the book:

5# wheat DME (mix 50/50 wheat & barley)
1 oz Hallertau hop pellets, 4% ~ 4 HBU right on target
WL300 Hefeweizen (will do 1 pint starter)

60 minute boil w/Hallertau & DME

Plan to skip Irish Moss

"Ferment till complete" (probably will go 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, bottle condition 3 weeks)

Thanks in advance.

I'd keep the DME where it is and add the majority of it near the end of the boil to avoid caramelization and keep the color light. If you wanted to steep grains, some wheat malt will help with head retention if you also use some two-row and can hold temps. in the 150 degree range for 45-60 minutes. Other than that it looks great, and will be good even without it. I'll be making a hefe with WLP300 about every third batch for the next four months to keep myself and my brother-in-law in "floating beer" for when we kayak the local rivers. This yeast MAKES the beer with a variety of ingredients. Two weeks in primary at 66-68 and two in bottles and you're good to go. I start drinking mine as soon as it's carbed. After you're done you'll wished you'd washed the yeast so that you can save $6 on your next batch, so you may wanna' look up yeast washing. It's coming on garage sale season here and canning jars are perfect for the yeast washing process. I see you're in G.R. if you need yeast or want to try a finished product shoot me a PM.

cu,

That is a great post! Thanks! I can see you in my future. After Easter when I can get back into the beer drinking game (gave it up, and I only have 13 days to go), I would love to do a trade of a few bottles. My primary has the Patersbier for now, as soon as it becomes available I'm going to boil the weissbier. Oh, and I already harvested some yeast - from my Patersbier starter! (smackpack belgian high grav) I think I will continue to do that - harvest a mason jar from the starter. Yours is a good tip on combing the garage sales for mason jars. Thanks again, I'll be in contact.

You have some Chutzpah for giving up beer for lent...

Cheers to you :mug:

Also, I agree with CU, I always do a late addition of extract (if using it) for lighter color now and adding some specialty grains for steeping will only make your beer better...

It was a Happy Easter !

I boiled this weissbier yesterday. I ended up with two 3# bags of Wheat DME so I threw it into 6.5 gallons. 3# w/the hops and 3# at 30 mins.

Reading up on weissbiers it seems we don't want to overpitch, so I started (1 pint) about ten hours in advance, split the starter into my WL test tube for next time, and pitched a krausening & nicely started yeast package. I setup a 12 oz beer bottle blow off (couple inches of starsan water in it), and I'm glad I did. It sounds like a metronone! No slower than one bubble per second! Fun.

Bottled it last night, from the primary to the bottling bucket. It had dropped to 016 (from 051 OG) a few days ago - then I cracked the hydro when it slipped out of my wet hand onto the floor, yet I did not realize it was broken till I grabbed it for bottling last night! Oh well, when I opened the bucket lid clearly the trub had fallen and was mostly gone, so I considered it finished & bottled it! That was 14 days in primary. The taste is very very good even without the carbonation! Some bread some banana some clove but not overpowering on any. I primed with 6 oz table sugar. This one will be good, and so simple. Anyone up for a swap cuinrearview? Obviously this should be ready in 2 weeks maybe sooner? who knows for sure. I might try one in a week. Planning a trip to NE GR anytime soon?

7 days in the bottle. Just 7 days. That beer is 100% made in Michigan > Heavensyes

Outdid myself. I hosted my all-grain brew buddy tonight who 'accepted' the Patersbier (about which, I am nuts).

He took a mere taste of this one, raised not one, both eyebrows, and declared, "That's good. That's a good beer. I like that one."

Bottom line: Four thumbs up.

yay

Update; one month after the rapid bottle aging, I have now experienced what others have said about the shelf life. It's less brilliant now. The exciting edge of ultra freshness that works so well with this beer has worn off. It's not dropped off a cliff, but the difference is evident. I had better start sharing this beer with friends as there is no sense saving it. I wonder if I had the refrigeration capacity if it would preserve it longer than my mid 60's fermentation (furnace, water heater) room. Will get a new batch going as soon as I can rotate it into the schedule.

Back