Covid 2020 brewday from hell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
This is more of a rant than anything else.
I'm now working from home, 4 hrs on friday. This is a good thing.

Decided to brew a session IPA bc that's what my wife likes to drink and honestly I don't mind them either.

I also figured I would smoke a pork butt since my smoker is basically set and forget. Prepped my cook and brew day last night so I could get up and get my meat on early and then start my brew day around 10.

I should have known that brewing and smoking in close proximity don't mix. With that said the combo of smoke and beer brought out the mother FN flies. Them bitches were every fn where. I brew electric in my garage so during the mash I keep my lid on so I spend the entire afternoon swatting those damn flies. I've never seen so many at one time in my life. Cant wait til I get my man cave and I can brew inside with no bugs and in ac.

To top it off these fn ass clowns down in the south don't know how to listen and follow direction.

Go to the store for a few items and people have their whole family with kids in the store all in your space. Had to tell one woman to step back a few feet and to follow social distancing and she looked at me like I was dumb. People like that is the reason why this Covid crap isn't getting any better.

Finally my OG sucked. Aimed for 1.048 but can in at 1.043. That's with a 75 min mash. Probably gonna be a 4.5% beer which I guess isn't all that bad.

Cheers people. Take care and have a great weekend.
Sorry for the rant!

But the real question is did you rub your butt before going on your rant? ;) It is awful to say, can't help it though....there are a LOT of dumb, too obsessed with themselves, it won't effect me people out there!

But the real question is did you rub your butt before going on your rant? ;) It is awful to say, can't help it though....there are a LOT of dumb, too obsessed with themselves, it won't effect me people out there!
Absolutely I rubbed my butt. Have to do it that way for it to turn out right.

Here's the nicely rubbed butt.

Attachments

• 20200403_180908.jpg
    20200403_180908.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 63
Yes sir, that bark does look good! The rub I used tonight, I put more dark brown sugar, some more turbinado, and 1/2 tablespoon dry mustard (for some reason just love using mustard with butts) to a fairly standard bbq rub. Trying to get that nice "candied" bark

Yep. I used to make my own but been using Big Ron's bbq rub. Get it online from his page. Good stuff.
For this one I rubbed with mustard and hot sauce then zatarains seasoning. Wanted something a little different.
Turned out great.

Yea, the only people I give a pass to regarding bringing kids is single parents, with that said I’ve seen 2 parents with kids shopping too many times. One parent can keep the kids in the care if you all must go out. Come on now!

Yea, the only people I give a pass to regarding bringing kids is single parents, with that said I’ve seen 2 parents with kids shopping too many times. One parent can keep the kids in the care if you all must go out. Come on now!
Yeah this crap will never end if people don't follow the rules/suggestions.
Louisiana has been seeing signficant increases every day.

I was at the store today and tried to respect ppls space...also tho when ppl were totally oblivious and just standing in front of the icebox with their entire cart reading a label, I'd just step right in there and say "excuse me".
You've never seen somebody jump back so fast!
Im all for social distancing but it doesn't mean people can be socially oblivious.
Rant over.

Are you able to brew with the garage door closed an just open windows?

I was at the store today and tried to respect ppls space...also tho when ppl were totally oblivious and just standing in front of the icebox with their entire cart reading a label, I'd just step right in there and say "excuse me".
You've never seen somebody jump back so fast!
Im all for social distancing but it doesn't mean people can be socially oblivious.
Rant over.

Are you able to brew with the garage door closed an just open windows?
I can close the doors. In the winter it's fine but summer not so much.
It wasn't too bad yesterday so guess I should have closed up the doors.
What in really need is a couple window units to cool down my garage when I brew in the summer.
My goal is for a man cave but that's on the back burner for now.

Flies are ridiculous here in PA. Cooked some steaks on the grill the other day and there must have been 20-30 flies on the screen door. I tried to swat them away, but they still followed me in. We have been killing flies inside for days. Yesterday my brew day did not go as planned. Was shooting for a 1.060 Other Half type Oat NEIPA using Citra/Mosaic/Nelson. Apparently my Oat Malt was not crushed thoroughly. Ended up with a 1.046 Session IPA. Biggest gravity miss ever. DOH!

Flies are ridiculous here in PA. Cooked some steaks on the grill the other day and there must have been 20-30 flies on the screen door. I tried to swat them away, but they still followed me in. We have been killing flies inside for days. Yesterday my brew day did not go as planned. Was shooting for a 1.060 Other Half type Oat NEIPA using Citra/Mosaic/Nelson. Apparently my Oat Malt was not crushed thoroughly. Ended up with a 1.046 Session IPA. Biggest gravity miss ever. DOH!
I usually have a few files when I brew but never like I saw friday. I guess it was the combo of smoke and beer that drew those lil bastards in.
Next brew day I'll be closing my garage doors to try and prevent them.
One thing Covid 19 has allowed is I am a able to work from home and I can now smoke and brew during the week. My smoker is set and forget and since I brew on electric basically set and forget.

I had the same issue with flies and such last year, so I bought one of these (pair actually, have two doors).

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Mesh-G...&keywords=garage+screen&qid=1586112137&sr=8-2

Pretty much get what you pay for, but I've been happy with mine. Stick the velcro strips on the outside of the garage door, stick the screen in place, and your good to go. No bugs so far after a year of use.

View attachment 674361

I saw those advertised on TV last year. We joked about them, but I might need to give them some serious consideration. Smoked some chicken today and the flies were ridiculous.

Back