Covering Your Boil - Oops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notixx

Reaction score
Last night was my first time brewing outdoors on a propane burner.
As the sun started to set, i worried a bit about two things.

- Bugs deciding to land in the wort
- Heat Loss (outside temp was dropping quick)

I had my lid on PARTIALLY (steam was still escaping)
i know that most people dont cover their boil, and i never did before, but i didnt know the reasoning behind it

after a little research, it seems that it can cause off flavors?
trying to figure out if my beer is doomed i guess. pretty bummed out, i never thought about it..

Yes- there are off-flavor compound (precursors of DMS) that are vented off during a boil. Cabbage-like flavors from what I've read. However, you had it partially covered ,allowing steam to escape so that should pretty much take care of that. I think you'll be OK.

I was wondering what people do when they brew outside as well. I am worried some outside particles will get in there. I was gonna partial cover my kettle as well. Hope it works out well!

Was it an all grain or extract recipe? With extracts, there is less of a risk of DMS because most of it is driven off during the production of the extract. That and since your pot was not totally covered gives you a good chance of having no issues.

Good point about the AG vs. extract, kh.
I don't worry much about things dropping in my wort while it's boiling- the heat will sterilize anything. Anything big enough to see, just scoop out. I'm much more concerned about covering the BK during the chilling process. I even ducktape the lid on.

Think about this.... commercial breweries have a covered boil with a small duct to vent the steam out of the building.

I'd say that if you were venting steam you are okay. Bugs and particles really only matter once you cool the wort.

i thought about that with commercial/microbreweries. I never had the pot fully closed throughout the entire boil. Not once. I think it'll be okay.

It was an AG recipe.

I don't plan on covering even partially again. It was getting quite windy and chilly out near the end of the brew day, so i was concerned.

I've had to finish up brews in the rain and snow, and ended up covering them with the lid, at about 85%. This was like you, before I read about the DMS. I didn't notice any off flavors. Not sure if it was luck, or like Jim said, because I had it partially open.

I wouldn't dump it out by any means. It'll probably be perfectly drinkable! :D

Back