Couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
My mead is still about a month from bottling I believe but I have been wondering this stuff so I'll just ask early.

1. Is mead carbed like beer? Do I need to add priming sugar at bottling or do I just bottle and its flat?

2. Whats the best way to drink mead do you refridgerate it like beer or is it more of a slightly warm to room temp type thing?

1. It can be. I prefer mine still, like wine.

2. It depends on the mead. Some are like white wines, fruity and crisp, and I like those chilled just like white wines. Others are more deep flavored, maybe even with some tannic fruit, and are very good served at red wine temperature.

Well, it looked like I answered both questions with "it depends", huh? Sorry about that. What kind of mead is it? maybe stick a sample in the fridge and see how you like it best.

Yeah, it's totally a preference thing.

My mead is going to be about 14% alcohol and I'm going to bottle it still. I'm doing this because I want to flavor it with rose water, and I think carbonation will detract from the floral aroma and flavor of the rose water. As to whether to serve it chilled or at room temperature, I'm just going to have to experiment on that one.

Most of the mead I've had is still and chilled, but if you like it better another way, you're not crazy.

I will say that from drinking a LOT of samples over the last few months, Chilling the wine will help to mask some of the UBER alcohol flavor in some of the bigger meads. Granted, with time this will disappear, but the fridge only takes 20 minutes to cool off a sample.:cross:

Back