Couple questions from a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionHeartedGirl

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm beyond excited because the SCOBY I'm growing from scratch is coming along beautifully! It's my second attempt and I made some adjustments this time that seem to be working.

My house is very cold so I got a warmer to wrap around and it's moving things along FAST! I just started it on Sunday and already it's got a lovely jellylike surface and it's emitting a wonderful yeasty fragrance.

Once my SCOBY is ready to go and I start my first batch, how long will it likely take before it's finished using the warmer? Things seem to be moving along quite fast which is thrilling. I'm just not sure how I will know when the first batch is done. Anyone have experience using the warmer and can give me some time estimates?

I had planned to use my GT bottles for the second fermentation but I'm reading that the seal isn't good enough. I've searched for replacement caps that might be better but haven't had any luck finding them. Does anyone know where I might find some?

I'll go the flip top bottle route if I have to, I just have these great glass jars already and was hoping I wouldn't have to invest another $35-$50 on bottles before I could start actually SAVING money.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a buch maker, so I have no answers for you, but wanted to say hi. By the way what are GT bottles? Green tea? Glass tea?

Thanks. You might be able to buy new lids from a commercial supplier, of course many have large minimums but could be worth looking into especially if it would be less than new swing-tops.

Welcome to the forum. I reuse BT bottles. The seals do start to wear out but you can get at least a 1/2 dozen uses IME. I'm a home beer brewer also so I have and use swing top bottles. They work great. Being the frugal sort if I didn't have swing tops I would use water/soda/Gatorade bottles before I bought any (or buy beer that comes in a swingtop :)). I do use a few soda bottles as is for secondary ferment as you can squeeze the bottle to gauge the carb level.

I don't have any experience with a warmer but I don't think anyone who has will be able to give you a perfect time frame for fermentation completion as taste is involved and is subjective. I keep my house pretty cool as well and my primary ferment takes 10 days or so and my secondary takes about 5. It will take a few batches to tweak it to your taste (or your taste to adjust). Occasionally, I get overstocked and have to let the primary sit for longer while I drink down the supply. I'm currently drinking a batch that was in primary for almost three weeks. Yee-haw its sour! It also picks up more vinegar flavor as you go longer. Not my favorite, but secondary with fruit juice makes it tolerable.

Anyway, when I first started I tried a 7 day cycle for simplicity sake and didn't find it tart enough. That being said, that's probably were I would recommend starting. I have only about 20 or so batches in so I am no expert but I'm happy to help if you have more questions.

I think 7 days is a good bench mark for first ferment. I tend to start tasting at around 5 days (usually too sweet at that point). Also, since you're planning a second ferment (with the bottles) keep in mind you may want to be a little on the sweeter side when bottling since there will be additional time fermenting in the bottles, and therefore some of that sugar will get eaten up and you'll end up with something less sweet after the second ferment.

Great find on the GT bottle caps! I have a dozen swing top bottles which I use, but a load of GT bottles that serve as back ups. I haven't noticed a problem with the original GT caps, but maybe I just didn't notice and thought the batch was more lightly carbonated. I'll definitely pick up a dozen of those.

I just did my first Booch batch and I’m also trying reused GT bottles and lids for my secondary ferment. Some of my newbie questions and experiences are here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...ha-fermentation-supposed-to-look-like.644302/

So far, the GT bottles with the original lids seem to be holding the carbonation - only 3 days into bottling however. I’m really liking morning kombucha, and hoping these GT bottles work so I don’t have to haul flip top beer bottles into work. That might be a tad bit awkward.

Seriously Dear, I am also not aware of GT bottles, Is these GT water bottles leach harmful chemicals? Currently, I am using Stainless Steel water bottle which is made up of natural elements.

I start to taste test my Kombucha after 3 or 4 days as soon as it starts to lose its sweetness and starts to get that acid bite to it I bottle it into swing tops that I have added freeze dried raspberries to give the kombucha some flavour and natural sugar for second ferment. I keep my brewing jars in the closet where the hot water cylinder is to keep the kombucha warm during first ferment.

I have started tasting as soon as 4 days, some I just let sit in 70-80 degrees for a week or two before tasting. Then once it hits the spot, into the flip-tops and fridge. I have seen it packaged in anything from mason jars the entire time to glass flip-tops etc.

This weekend I am going to experiment with brewing some concentrated hibiscus tea and adding it to the kombucha for taste, maybe some fruit too.

I just bottled a batch of rooibos and black tea kombucha tonight and used some apple and pomegranate concentrate to supply the sugar for carbonation as well as flavour, still have some green tea kombucha to bottle also.

Back