Couple of newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taetoe

Reaction score
First off, I'm using a 6 gallon glass carboy as my primary fermenter for a california common. Do I need to do a blowoff tube for this or will just an airlock work? And if I do need to use a blowoff tube, would an orange rubber carboy cap with tubes attached into a jar of water work?

You might not need a blow off tube, but I'd hate to find out too late that you should have used one!

The carboy cap works fine with a blow off tube! The tubing just slides onto one of nipple things and then the other end in a pitcher/jug of sanitizer and water. Cover the other nipple with the cover that came with the cap.

Being that it is a 6 gallon carboy, you could probably get away with just using an airlock, but if you have a 3 piece airlock, all you need is a hose to attach to the center post inside it to make a blow off. Better to have it and not need it...

I've never used the carboy caps, but I would assume that would work too. As long as you have an airtight seal. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Ben

*Edit: Wow I'm slow. oh well

I always start with just the airlock and monitor the krausen. If it gets close to the top and you have to go to work or be gone for long, then go ahead and use the tubes into the water.

Back