Couple of Cold Crash questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullmoonwolf

Reaction score
I have and Irish Red and a Dogfish 60 Minute IPA (thanks Yoop) in fermenters. Both with Wyeast Pacman yeast. The Irish Ale has a 1/2" thick Yeast raft on top while the 60 Min yeast has settled to the botton. My questions are. Why the difference is yeast behavor? Also, if I cold crash the Irish red to say 35 degrees for a couple days, will the yeast raft drop out and if so, will there be enough yeast left suspended to bottle carb. Lastly, I plan on trying my hand at yeast harvesting and thought it would be better on the Irish Red due to lower ABV.

All yeasts will act differently. I've had some beers in primary for 4 weeks that don't completely drop their krausen. It's not a big deal. If you're worried about bottle carbing, then just suck up a little yeast from the bottom when you rack to your bottling bucket. You shouldn't have a problem though.

I would harvest from the Irish Red also.

Back