Country Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Arnould

Reaction score
Hey all.....the next recipe I want to try is something like this:

I want to use a lot of "alternative" starches (is that the correct blanket term?) Since I am a new partial/countertop masher, I can handle 4 lbs of grain.

I was hoping to do something like:
1 lb Wheat
1 lb Rye
1 lb Oats
1 lb Munich/Biscuit/Crystal/whatever

Then I would supplement with 5 or so lbs Extra Light DME, use some Saaz or Hallertauer hops (shooting for low IBU's), and either go the neutral yeast route, or perhaps a saison/wit yeast.

My questions:
Do these all, or do any have them, have the diastatic power of base malts?

What is a good mash temp?

What should I do with that 4th lb of malt space in my mash cooler?

What do you think as far as yeast/hop choices?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks, all! I look forward to your input......

Munich has the diastatic power to be used as a base grain. I'm kinda skeptical about the others though, don't think they are. I know that crystal and biscuit aren't. If you like maltier beers, mash a tad higher, say around 154 or so, likewise, if you like drier beers, mash cooler, around 148. For the yeast, I'd go with a saison or wit. For hops, you can go with Saaz. I'm concerned that if you go with what you have for grains that the 1# of munich won't be enough to completely convert the rest; I haven't tried it in this ratio to know for sure.

***shameless bump***

So should I use malted wheat, malted rye? Are those even available? And should I tweak my proportions? Anyone tried anything like this?

Thanks

Yes, you are going through the n00b brewer phase. We all did it. Mine was Rauchmalt with maple syrup and pumpkins in the mash tun. Yours is a fine idea, but their are several reasons you can't find that beeer on store shelves. You will learn more by making it than reading up to talk yourself out of it.

You aren't going to find malted oats anywhere. But, malted wheat has enough power to convert itself and help a little. Malted rye (harder to find) has enough enzyme power to convert itself and help with the oats. I think if you switch your"Other" to one pound of six row malted barley you'll have enough to beat the oats.

So a pound of each, then about half a pound of light Crystal, like 20 or maybe 40L.

I would go with a clean yeast, Nottingham Yellow will be fine, no starter required.

And whatever hops you can get, maybe 6-8 HBUs (60) and 3-8 HBUs(0) or so? It will be beer. It will be your very own recipe.

Some folks will like it, and you'll have a much greater appreciation for the existing beer styles. I say brew it, if you can afford to not like it. You might have to pour it out or give most of the batch to one friend who does like it.

EDIT: Malted rye and oats both have reputations as difficult spargers. You might as well attempt a beta-glucan rest, and have 4-8 ounces of rice hulls ready. 4 ounces of rice hulls is a huge scoop, you'll see when you are measuring- those go in at the end, mix in right before you start vorlaufing.

Back