Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Will a 25' CFC be enough to bring boiling wort down into the 70s? (Right now I'm using a wort chiller and a soup stick)

Can I use the sink tap instead of the garden hose? (Being in SoCal the summer temps are high and the garden water seems to be quite hot)

Can I pump ice water through the CFC somehow instead of other taps?

~RDWHAHB~

The 25' might be enough if you have a valve on the end to slow the flow of the wort. If you have a submersible pump, you can stick it in a bath of ice water to pump through. Faucet would work fine, but after a couple of minutes the temp coming out of the hose will be close to the faucet. Unless you are using a 100' feet of hose and exposing it to the sun.

No sun exposure. I do have a pump that we use for the wort chiller now. 150 gph pond pump. It's a small one but works great.

So the key to this is to let the hot wort trickle out of the spigot into the CFC so it does it's job the best way that it can?!?

~RDWHAHB~

If I were to build a CFC how would I seal off the water to wort ends. I'd like to be 1/2" copper. So how would I reduce from the T-joint to the copper line. 3/4" to 1/2" compression fitting?!? screw it on and solder?!? Ideas?

~RDWHAHB~

Back