counterflow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
I need to buy a counter flow chiller now that I have a hop rocket. I have searched for a 50ft one. I can only find 25. I brew 10 gallon batches. Will a 25ft CFC work for 10 gallon batches???

FYI...i want to buy one..not do a DYI counterflow.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Anyone that brews 10 gallon batches and uses a counterflow have an opinion for me please?

I have a 25' CFC & have used it to chill 4-5 10 gal batches with no problem. It's been fall & winter w/ 50F water temps, but I expect slowing the flow will offset that.

Batch size doesn't matter for a CFC. I have a 25 ft and it cools my 10 gallon batches without a problem.

If you have a pump, you could recirc back to the boil kettle, through the counterflow, waiting until you hit pitching temp. Doing it this way a 25'er would do fine.
I made mine, its prob 20ft. But the outside pipe is 1" with the inner being 1/2".

I have the more beer convoluted CFC, I use gravity to flow the hot wort through it, not a pump. It will knock down the wort to about 10-15ºF above the temp of the cooling water coming in about 15min. It's nice in the winter, but now with ground water temps rising to the mid 70ºF I'll need to start running it with a pre-chiller.

But I love it, super solid and easy to clean.

cooling capacity of CFC is mostly affected by temperature and flow rate of wort and water and not that much by the size of it

Thanks for the info guys! I have a 50 ft immersion chiller I could use as a pre chiller...so guessing the 25ft should work....thanks again

Use an old immersion chiller as a pre-chiller with some ice water (I use half of what is in my fridge ice drawer in a 5 gallon bucket an two gallons of water) and it will tackle any size brew.....all day long.

Back