Counterflow Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently picked up a CFC from NY Brew Supply. I'm going to use it in conjunction with my garden hose, a submersible pump, and two lengths of garden hose for cool water in and hot out.

My thinking at this time, because the ground water in my area is in the 80's, that I will take the hot wort and run it through the chiller once using just ground water. Then, I will pour the wort (probably at 100 degrees) back into the kettle, remove the garden hose, add 20lbs of ice, and begin a recirculating of the cold water with the pump.

My question is, will pouring back into the kettle at 100 degrees F cause hot-side aeration or could it be beneficial to the wort at that point?

Thanks!

Greetings,

I recently picked up a CFC from NY Brew Supply. I'm going to use it in conjunction with my garden hose, a submersible pump, and two lengths of garden hose for cool water in and hot out.

My thinking at this time, because the ground water in my area is in the 80's, that I will take the hot wort and run it through the chiller once using just ground water. Then, I will pour the wort (probably at 100 degrees) back into the kettle, remove the garden hose, add 20lbs of ice, and begin a recirculating of the cold water with the pump.

My question is, will pouring back into the kettle at 100 degrees F cause hot-side aeration or could it be beneficial to the wort at that point?

Thanks!

Pouring it shouldn't hurt, but instead of pouring, why not return the wort to the boil kettle instead of another vessel? That's what I do, sort of. I recirculate until the wort gets to 120 or less, then go to the fermenter on the next pass.

Edit- unless you don't have a pump, duh! If you're using gravity, then yes, your way will work!

Haha, yeah, no pump for me other than the water pump. I have pretty much all the toys I need at the moment except a good March pump.

Thanks Yooper! :)

A more efficient method would be to chill the water going into the CFC in the first place.

Run the hose water into something like a 3/8" or 1/2" copper coil before it runs into the CFC. Sit the coil in an ice bath to cool the incoming cooling water from your ambient temp to something much lower before it runs into your CFC.

As far as pumps go, I'm using one of the Tan Chinese" $20 pumps. The valve and QDs cost more than the pump, weight more than the pump and more than triple the size of the pump set up. HOWEVER, this little bugger moves wort around and makes life SO much easier.

BTW - yesterday, I ran my CFC on a "real" batch (instead of test mashes on my new brew rig). Ambient water temperature coming out of the hose bib here in Lincoln, CA was 68°F. Wort exited my 21' CFC at 74°F. I was set to re-circulate the cooling wort back into the BK. I was very surprised, and pleased, after reading some comments about CFC v. IC, that I didn't have to do that.

Jason, I highly recommend getting a pump. It will make brew days so much easier and so much more fun.

The pump is next on my list after temp control. I just bought a 25 cubic foot freezer and I'm going to need a controller for that. After that, the sky is the limit!

Another quick question... I have a short length of tube I'm using to connect the barb on the kettle to the hot wort in on the CFC. The tube is similar to what liquid line is in kegging. I think it is vinyl. No braids or other strengthening agents. Will I be okay using this or do I need to get heat-resistant tubing?

What would happen if I were to use the vinyl? Can I expect much more than just a really warm tube?

You will get some poly-phenols out of the hose, you are better off getting a shot piece of silicone tubing from one of our sponsors here. It should only cost you >$10 for a short piece of hose and decent speed shipping.

I ended up getting a 3' piece of silicone tubing from my LHBS today on the way home. Worked beautifully! Actually, I think it's too long! Ha!

Thank you all for the recommendation!

image-2959681785.jpg

Edit: here's the requisite beer pr0n for everyone!

Back