Counter Pressure Bottling from Kegs & Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
I've found that the old stopper and a racking cane trick for filling growlers and bottles under pressure works great for me. I get pretty much zero foam and the beer going into the container is carbonated perfectly.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

I bought an adapter that fits inside my perlick faucets to make this process even smoother. I have filled many growlers, bombers, and 12 oz bottles with this process. However, these are always consumed within a short period of time. I'm usually just giving something to a friend or taking something to a party.

When I want to bottle something for a competition, I drag out the beer gun because I'm worried about the sanitation of the inside of the faucet.

I have a habit of spraying star san inside the faucet after every pouring session and plugging the faucet with a plug that has been sitting in star san.

I'd rather not have to drag the beer gun out just to fill a few bottles of a beer that turned out great to save for a competition. The competition may be weeks or months out ahead.

Would I be crazy to think I could use the faucet/stopper/cane method to fill beers for a competition that might be 6 months away?

I have the same worry, about contamination, so for the BMBF set up, I use a picnic tap set up with a racking cane, as those are super easy to sanitize and keep sanitized, and skip the faucets.

Sorry to hijack but do you find the beer stays carbonated properly for awhile using this method? I would like to start bottling a few beers here and there for a trip this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry to hijack but do you find the beer stays carbonated properly for awhile using this method? I would like to start bottling a few beers here and there for a trip this summer.

Sure. Just fill and cap in swing-tops or crown cap bottles.

Yes. I did this with a Belgian tripel, and it stayed carbed for a couple of years and didn't show any signs of oxidation. I've won competitions with this method as well.

I have the same worry, about contamination, so for the BMBF set up, I use a picnic tap set up with a racking cane, as those are super easy to sanitize and keep sanitized, and skip the faucets.

Can you explain this process a little more or is there a link?

Thanks for the pointer on the picnic taps Yooper. Look what I found in my parts bin:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392830688.893988.jpg

I had some thin wall stainless tube left over from another project that fits perfectly (tight). If anyone wants it, I can dig up the specs and the place where I bought it.

Back