Counter Flow Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
I was given a counter flow chiller (Lucky me!!) and I figured I'd wait to use it when I get my AG system set up. I assumed you had to pump the beer through the chiller. Well I was looking at a picture in one of the home brew books and it showed the kettle then the counter flow chiller, then a normal emersion (SP?) chiller (but the wort went though the coils) and then the fermentor, with no pump at all. So, can you use the counter flow chiller without a pump? Hard hard would it be to get a sipon going through a setup like this?

I use gravity to get the beer through the CFC. Look into putting a vaulve in the bottom of your kettle and save yourself the headache of trying to siphon hot wort out.

My normal procedure is put the kettle on my saw horses attach CFC and set it on my mash tun (cooler standing on it's side) and drain into the carboy

I drain directly from the kettle spigot, through the CFC to the carboy. Takes about 10 - 15 minutes.
Siphoning would probably be a bit more difficult (especially if you use a plastic siphon :D )

-a.

Latest posts

Back