Could use some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Banks

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to start by saying I am a true beginner in case I say anything someone here might deem absurdly ignorant.
I found this old home brewing kit in my basement that was gifted to my dad maybe 5 years ago or so. The brand is "Brewdemon". Anyways, I decided to break it out and follow all the instructions even though the expiration date reads 1/15/17.
My concoction is currently fermenting right now and I have no idea what to expect. The mixture is extremely dark with these white clumps on the surface that sort of resemble mold.
I guess my question is what should I expect out of this? How important are fresh ingredients in a small batch home brew kit such as this?
Thank you

You should get beer. Not great beer but beer none the less.

Fresh is best, but malt extract, which I'm sure you have used, really doesn't go bad. The older it gets the darker the beer and the more chance of off flavors you may get.

The white stuff is normal. Beer looks really gross until it looks good.

Welcome to the obsession.

You should get beer. Not great beer but beer none the less.

Fresh is best, but malt extract, which I'm sure you have used, really doesn't go bad. The older it gets the darker the beer and the more chance of off flavors you may get.

The white stuff is normal. Beer looks really gross until it looks good.

Welcome to the obsession.

Thanks for the reply, I am reassured. I appreciate it.
I will post an update of what happens after a week, which is when the kit told me to bottle it :)
In the mean time I'm browsing a new kit to buy. I can see myself becoming obsessed, lol.

Don't assume the beer will be ready to bottle in a week. If you don't have a hydrometer it would be a good idea to get one; they cost less than 10 bucks. Find a homebrew store near you, or if none are nearby, order one from Amazon or one of the many online homebrew suppliers.

After 10-12 days in the fermenter, take a gravity reading with the hydrometer. Wait a couple days and take another reading. If the specific gravity of the second sample is lower, wait another couple of days; the beer is still fermenting. When you get the same reading twice, separated by at least two days, you can safely bottle the beer.

Don't assume the beer will be ready to bottle in a week. If you don't have a hydrometer it would be a good idea to get one; they cost less than 10 bucks. Find a homebrew store near you, or if none are nearby, order one from Amazon or one of the many online homebrew suppliers.

After 10-12 days in the fermenter, take a gravity reading with the hydrometer. Wait a couple days and take another reading. If the specific gravity of the second sample is lower, wait another couple of days; the beer is still fermenting. When you get the same reading twice, separated by at least two days, you can safely bottle the beer.

Thanks for the advice!

Google is your friend here as well. For example, what you thought was "mold" on the top of your beer is more than likely what is commonly called krausen (pronounced croysen), and is just happy yeast doing what they do best, do a google search for krausen and I bet you'll see it's close to what you have. +1 to the suggestions above regarding a hydrometer as well; and I will go one further and say DO NOT OPEN THE FERMENTER to look at your fermenting beer, until it is done. You are opening yourself up (pun intended) to allow something nasty in there.

Yea verily, you will get beer; maybe not great, but it will be beer. If this is something you might want to try again, I would suggest reading How to Brew by Jon Palmer; the 1st edition is available for free online, and further editions at your local bookstore or Amazon.

There are NO stupid questions on this thread; all of us have been there, done that, and are here to help.

Since the yeast is really old, it might take longer to finish. I'd say give it 18 days in the fermenter before sampling. Get a gravity sample, and close the lid quickly. Then three days later, be ready to bottle. Take a second gravity sample. If the gravity (corrected for temperature) is stable, and it is clear or a just slightly hazy, bottle it. If not, wait a few more days and check again. You want to minimize the number of times opening the fermenter to keep out oxygen and microbes.

Welcome to the hobby. My first couple beers had mistakes, but were drinkable, and I was happy that I made something drinkable. Go ahead ask questions, and read up on things about the process. What style of beer did the kit come with? Light colored beers always appear darker in the fermenter, but will appear lighter in the serving glass. Let us know how you make out.

Walk away.
Read a book.
Read another book.
Patience will be rewarded. Patience is hard. Really hard.
Leave it 2-3 weeks.

Hi, I'm going to start by saying I am a true beginner in case I say anything someone here might deem absurdly ignorant.
I found this old home brewing kit in my basement that was gifted to my dad maybe 5 years ago or so. The brand is "Brewdemon". Anyways, I decided to break it out and follow all the instructions even though the expiration date reads 1/15/17.
My concoction is currently fermenting right now and I have no idea what to expect. The mixture is extremely dark with these white clumps on the surface that sort of resemble mold.
I guess my question is what should I expect out of this? How important are fresh ingredients in a small batch home brew kit such as this?
Thank you

No one is "ignorant". There are simply things we haven't yet discovered for ourselves.

I am concerned about the gift kept in the basement for 5 years.

"The mixture is extremely dark with these white clumps on the surface that sort of resemble mold.". Malt extract will darken and change flavor with age. Yes, sounds similar to mold, but in a sanitized and sterile can this really should not happen unless the environment (in the basement) encouraged growth.

Should have purchase new yeast. I'm sure 5 years is way past the "best by" yeast date.

Hope the resulting brew isn't a turn off for you. If bad, dump it, go to the local homebrew shop and purchase a fresh kit (and yeast too).

Welcome to the hobby.

Truly I would worry, with @Tobor_8thMan, if the white clumps be on the malt extract prior to use, however I read @Kyle Banks as having white clumps in the fermenter, which to the uninitiated brewer looks like a bad grade B movie about The Blob taking over the Earth, but to the poor obsessed brewer (that's us) looks like an undulating mass of yeasty goodness.
Some examples
upload_2019-3-24_8-24-46.png

Thank you
a kit from 17 isnt fresh but it should still yield beer. white clumps,are they fluffy foam like or flat and fuzzy looking? can you post a pic? if its not a kraeusen ,it could be infection , hard to tell without seeing it.
Take good notes, follow directions and dont ever be afraid to ask questions.
Welcome .

Latest posts

Back