could this work as grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's description says that it produces silky to textured flour. Even if you are BIAB, you don't want a bag of flour, no matter how textured it is. Plus, it is twice the price of a Cereal Killer...

My question would be how much grain can be milled in a certain amount of time. Looks can be deceiving, but this looks like slow going to me. For that much investment, other options abound. Of course you may want to use the machine for other uses and may only brew one gallon batches.

Why would you buy a $200 milling attachment when you can get a decent 2-roller malt mill for half that price or a better one for $40 less?

Those kind of grain mills as pictured are probably OK to make flour from grain, for baking. Now, again, for $200 there are better, more dedicated options for that too.

I'd avoid gadgets.

Note that it's just the mill attachment. You'll need to have one of those stand mixers to use it.

I've got something like that for my Kitchenaid, but if I remember correctly, it cost about half as much as the one you linked.

From the picture, it looks like there are 8 different settings. The description makes it sound like it's designed for baking, so I suspect that the finest grind is probably intended to make flour. The largest one is probably coarse flour.

The Kitchenaid one has 12 settings. Additionally, there's a part that you can tighten (or loosen) inside it so you have complete control over how fine/coarse you want to make it.

One caveat is that the top part is pretty small on mine (the one you linked also looks small), so I can't mill much at a time. I think there's also a restriction on how long to use it (don't want to burn out the motor). So it can take a fairly long time to mill a full grain bill.

I have 2 mixers including 1 we inherited from my wife's parents. It is a tank! I use it to make pasta (roller and extruded) pretty frequently. I am not worried about the mixer. I will probably die before it does. I was thinking of using this for making flour and for milling grains. I may just skip this for now and get a grain cereal killer or something similar for now.
Thanks for the input.
Matt

Yup, do your research before committing. ^

All those mixer attachments are proprietary, none will fit on another motor unit. Those attachments are also way overpriced for what they are.
Back in the days they used to sell vacuum cleaners that could double up as a mixer in the kitchen... :tank:

Back