Could Really Use Some Help On My Third Try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britski

Reaction score
Alright folks I need some insight here.
My first two attempts were made with Coopers extract. Both times the color and carbonation were great. I did one week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in bottling like is generally recommended. The problem is that both batches ended up with what I would describe as a wine taste. It leaves very dry taste in in your throat. Some of the bottles weren't as bad and some were down right unpleasant. I think I am very careful about sanitation.
My plan for the third try is to just leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and bottle. Good idea??

what type of beers were the kits?
what type yeast were you using?
were there any sugars added?
full or partial boils?
edit> what temps do you ferment/ secondary at?
is your secondary glass or better bottle(doesn't matter either way just so your using one of em not your bottling bucket)

1) american style light and Mexican Style
2)the yeast in the kit
3)2.2 pounds of brewers sugar
4)full boil
5)the temp was pretty consistant at 70
6)glass secondary

not sure but i think the winey taste your getting may be from the 2.2# of sugar being added(even if it's brewers sugar ie corn sugar). sugar ferments out completely drying the overall taste of the beer and adding a cidery or winey taste

next time try adding another can of light extract or use 2.5# of dry malt extract
it will add more body and residual sweetness

ditch the kit, and get unhopped extract, hops, and yeast. Dry extract if you can as well. No sugar until bottling.

Hey there - I make alot of coopers kits. The best thing to do with them is not use so much sugar. Instead of the sugar purchase a 3lb can of liquid malt extract or about 2.5 punds of dry malt extract. You will find a big difference in the beer. You can still use some brewers sugar to help with fermentation - but try to keep it to a minimum.

Basically the more sugar you substitute in the recipe with malt extract - the better your final product will taste. Try it out and let me know how it turns out!

Cheers

Personally I'd recommend switching from the Coopers kits to a true ingredient kit like those found at AHS, Northern Brewer, More-Beer, ect... These kits will come with malt extract, specialty grains, and hops rather than being prehopped extract in a can and they will make beer that is a thousand times better.

With my Exp with the Coopers kits, there All Kind of hit and miss some come out alright some come out crappy, the styles you have are really supposed to be Lagered and fermented at lower temps you might be getting the off flavors from the temp you fermented at.I would suggest going with an all extract recipe your next time and add your own hops.

I've found that by lowering fermentation temps, *in general*, you will have a smoother finished beer:). It can also make for a slower fermentation, with a better risk of infection :( so sanitation is key. Some styles dictate a higher temp, but you could give it a shot w/ your next try and see if it helps. I'd probably use less sugar though (as stated) as this tends to give whats usually described as a "cidery taste".

I've used a lot of coopers unhopped LME & DME, and have always liked the results. Never did like the results of any pre-hopped malt extract, though.

i too say ditch Coopers for a better brand of extract kit...preferably one with hop additions instead of pre-hopped extract, and some steeping grains. and NO SUGAR except to prime the bottles.

Back