Could I get a little input on something, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
First off thank you for your help. Second, my purpose here is to brew a more San Diego style IPA as that is where I developed a taste for hoppier beers (I cut my teeth of Stone, Green Flash, Lagunitas, Ale Smith, and on occasion Pliney), and I want to bring a little of that here to Austin, Texas. However, I am hoping to get a little help from y'all to adjust this recipe to fit that style of hoppier IPA.

Next, I also wanted to try the newer Calypso hop as I hear that it is a fantastically smooth bittering hop, so that is my primary long boil bittering hop addition. On top of this I wanted to also do a FWH addition using a citrus-like aroma as it would seem to be a perfect balance to the slight residual sweetness that comes from the honey malt used.

Now, my biggest questions are this; would a aroma hop that lent a slight piney flavor balance well with the citrus from the Cascade (I do love that piney gin-like flavor) or is this not needed as it will be covered already? Another question, are the IBU levels high enough as this is slightly higher gravity, almost IIPA-like? If not should I add a 30min addition?

Finally, I guess I am looking for general input. Thank you.

Texas Uncommon IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/9/2012
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Brewn00b
Boil Size: 6.84 gal
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.17 %
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.35 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.2 IBU
1.00 oz Calypso [12.80 %] (60 min) Hops 39.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.35 %
1 Pkgs San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP090) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.07 %
Bitterness: 72.0 IBU
Est Color: 8.0 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 14.75 lb
Sparge Water: 1.25 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 18.44 qt of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 12.00 qt of water at 194.2 F 168.0 F

Lagunitas and Stone are kinda different in the style of IPAs. Are you looking for a more dry IPA, or a malt-strong IPA?

Overall though, the recipe looks fairly sound. However, the Calypso is added pretty early in the boil and probably won't give you anywhere near the influence it sounds like you're looking for (Citrus aroma you mentioned). Since you're close to the lower end of IBUs for an IPA of this size, I'd recommend adding the 1 oz of Calypso at the 15 minute mark with the Cascade. You will lose some IBUs by doing this and might want to just keep the 60 minute addition while adding another 1 oz of Calypso at the 15 minute mark (2oz of Calypso total).

Also don't forget the Dry Hops. Very important in this style of IPA.

I kind of misread your first post. You don't need the Calypso in a later addition for what it sounds like you're using it for. The citrus you mentioned might be what you were referring to from Cascade.

Whatever you choose, i think you'll like it. Seems good enough to me.

I'm late hop addition guy, so I would probably do what i mentioned earlier. In addition, I also like my IPAs to be more like Lagunitas' so I use a high mash temp (155+)

I kind of misread your first post. You don't need the Calypso in a later addition for what it sounds like you're using it for. The citrus you mentioned might be what you were referring to from Cascade.

Whatever you choose, i think you'll like it. Seems good enough to me.

I'm late hop addition guy, so I would probably do what i mentioned earlier. In addition, I also like my IPAs to be more like Lagunitas' so I use a high mash temp (155+)

Normally I mash at 151-152, so mashing at 154 is almost high for me. My reasoning for maxing at 154 is because of the higher grain bill and that it will by its higher SG will likely have a higher FG, but I get and and am thankful for your input. Do you know what Lagunitas mashes at?

Also, the citrus like come through from the cascade, as other people have mentioned that calypso really doesn't excel as an aroma hop (faint aroma and flavor), but really surpasses expectation as a very smooth bittering hop.

I'm just thinking that I hop I am not too light on the IBUs. I am factoring for 65% efficiency, but my last two brews were closer to 75%, so I would rather have too many hop packets available than not enough. Sadly, my perfectionist tendencies come out when I brew; everything has to be perfect the first time, every time!

id drop either the crystal or the honey malt, the amounts you have of each on their own are pretty sweet - the combo would be cloying IMO

honey malt is potent stuff, I used 1/2 lb in a pale ale and it dominated

Your IBUs look good to me, ~1:1 BU:GU is perfect for IPA

I drop down the crystal, carapils, honey malts. Too much of this will lead to more body and sweetness that are not appropriate for a west coast ipa. A west coast ipa should be fairly dry. I'd drop the honey malt altogether, but I'm just not a fan of honey malt in IPAs. The crystal, carapils, and honey malt probably shouldn't add up to more than 1.25lbs. Lowering these will allow the hop flavor to dominate. And I would mash at 150-152F to get a drier beer. And to get some piney balance for the cascade I'd add some simcoe flavor/aroma additions. This will balance the spicy/floral/fruity flavors and aroma from the cascade.

I drop down the crystal, carapils, honey malts. Too much of this will lead to more body and sweetness that are not appropriate for a west coast ipa. A west coast ipa should be fairly dry. I'd drop the honey malt altogether, but I'm just not a fan of honey malt in IPAs. The crystal, carapils, and honey malt probably shouldn't add up to more than 1.25lbs. Lowering these will allow the hop flavor to dominate. And I would mash at 150-152F to get a drier beer. And to get some piney balance for the cascade I'd add some simcoe flavor/aroma additions. This will balance the spicy/floral/fruity flavors and aroma from the cascade.

I totally got you on this, and I am willing to drop the honey malt, but sadly simcoe seems to be an unobtainable hop right now. What do you think of some Falconers Flight instead?

I know you are looking for advice but I recommend making your beer how ever you want to make it. Give your recipe a shot, mash at the temp you want and add hops when ever your recipe tells you to. Take good notes and adjust according the next time around. Everyone will have a different opinion about what you should do/try and there is nothing wrong with that. Make the beer that you want to make, I think your recipe looks great!

I like your questions, you remind me of me, analyzing every detail and being a general perfectionist. At least our research helps us make better beers (hopefully!)

I also noticed that Simcoe is just not available right now. I am currently seeking out similar flavor profiles.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for that Simcoe piney flavor?

Good luck with it!

I like your questions, you remind me of me, analyzing every detail and being a general perfectionist. At least our research helps us make better beers (hopefully!)

I also noticed that Simcoe is just not available right now. I am currently seeking out similar flavor profiles.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for that Simcoe piney flavor?

Good luck with it!

I hear Falconers Flight has simcoe in the blend, thus will be the closest to that wonderful flavor and aroma.

The east coast had a good year for hops. I managed to get about 2 pounds of chinook, cascade, and magnum. Only got about 1/2 pound of liberty off my plants.

The problem is that something like 90% of hops come from the pacific northwest.

Normally I mash at 151-152, so mashing at 154 is almost high for me. My reasoning for maxing at 154 is because of the higher grain bill and that it will by its higher SG will likely have a higher FG, but I get and and am thankful for your input. Do you know what Lagunitas mashes at?

Lagunitas mashes their normal IPA at 160 (If you can believe it). Most of their recipes are really high temps. A couple of IPAs I brew are around 158 as well. I think too many people are scared of doing this. Even with these higher mashes, I still don't end up any higher than 1.020 for my brews and usually closer to 1.016-1.018.

Oh snap! Austin Homebrew has Simcoe in stock! I just popped in to get my grainbill and there it was. I guess I going to do some hop schedule substitutes. Hmmm...simcoe, amarillo, and centennial....

Final build, hopefully I can brew it up on Monday.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.17 %
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.35 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.17 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Calypso [12.80 %] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.20 %] (15 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.20 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.35 %

I'm going to thrown this on top of a 5 gallon yeast cake of San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP090).

I intend to mash at 154f or 155f for an hour, do a 90min boil, and if my efficiency out of the mash tun is closer to 70-75% than I still have an additional half oz of Calypso I can throw in at 60min to balance it out. It looks tasty.

Thanks for all your advice gents! I may not have followed all of it but I took all of it into consideration.

Back