Could hard seltzer oxidize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reinklou

Reaction score
I’m planning to brew my first seltzer this weekend. Just simple sugar, water and us-05, ferment it as usual and the filter it through active carbon. What I’ve not been able to find is if hard seltzer oxidizes like a usual beer, or if it’s not affected since it’s just water and alcohol.

Do anybody know?

I brewed a hard seltzer for my wife and I did not have any issues with oxidation. Keep in primary for 1 week then transfered to secondary for 2 weeks. Then added finning agent and let sit for another 2 weeks prior to bottling.

I was thinking more along the lines of hot side oxidation from splashing and transferring without cooling.

If it's made just from water, sugar and flavoring then it won't be as affected by oxidation by far.

Beer has a lot more that can oxidize, starting from lipids from the malt and polyphenols from both malt and hops and then a lot of fermentation byproducts.

Back