Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled this using WL 565 saison yeast. Went from 1.062 down to 1.006, kid you not. That was 4 weeks with temp starting at 68 ramping up one degree until 80 and holding for the remainder. Will let you know once I get a taste test.

Thanks for the feedback. Might give it a go without the honey and then scale everything down to about 1.045 for a 5 to 6% beer.
Don't want to go too low or else it might not be possible to store it for as long before it starts going down hill.

This beer cellars very nicely, even at 4.5% ABV. A friend of mine just opened a 3-year old bottle of a batch I did and reported that it had aged very nicely. I think that the 3711 yeast I used leads to beers that cellar well.

I think that this beer would also work nicely with WLP566 Belgian Saison II which produces similar esters and peppery notes

Adding it to my shopping list as this is my next brew, but wanted to change something up from the past times brewing this.

Belle Saison is a great yeast but many, including myself, have found that it lacks the spicy or peppery notes and esters that 3711 produces. However; it will ferment low to high gravity beers completely without any hassle and produces some glycerol which lends to some residual mouthfeel even if the beer ferments to near 1.000 FG.

HERE IS A LINK TO DREW BEECHUM's excellent AHA presentation on a test of all of the common Saison yeast strains (except Belle Saison) with some good tasting notes. Food for though for your future saison brews...

Woah, thanks man. I've learned a lot from Drew over the years (especially the "Brewing on the Ones" concept), but I've never seen this one. This is awesome stuff. Now to see what one pairs best with ginger cause that's what I truly love in a summer saison.

I am looking to brew this in the next couple of weeks. Have brewed it about 4 times. Has anyone tried doing a fruit variant? Just trying to think about a split batch to mix it up.

I am looking to brew this in the next couple of weeks. Have brewed it about 4 times. Has anyone tried doing a fruit variant? Just trying to think about a split batch to mix it up.

I just bottled a saison last night and poured about a half bottle (2 oz) of peach flavoring for the last ~2 gallons I had. Initial taste was really good and complimented the beer very well I thought. I have 3 gallons of "plain" saison, and about 2 of peach saison. Can't wait for it to carbonate!

Hey guys. I brewed this recipe 2 weeks ago, but now I need the primary fermenter for a new brew. I understand that the yeast is very important in this recipe, so would racking to a secondary affect the final product too much? Should I wait out the whole 4 weeks in the primary and rack directly into the keg or am I fine transferring to my secondary fermenter?

Check the gravity. If it's within a couple points of where it should end up, with this recipe and 3711 most hit close to 1.000, then rack to secondary or keg whichever you prefer. Nice thing about this and many saison recipes is they can be turned around quickly. If it's not near 1.000 then I would wait it out.

Hey. The beer has gone down to 1.006. I am using Wyeast 3711. I transferred it to secondary and left it room temp. Not a lot of citrus yet when I tasted the hydrometer sample. Any dry hop suggestions? Also, thanks for the tip bolus 14

Well the WL 565 produced a fantastic beer down to 1.006 as well. I wouldn't say that the pepper or the Sorachi Ace gave it much of a spicy taste but the lemon flavor sure came through.

I bottle conditioned and tried a few but the plan is to age some and see how they come along every month or so.

I'm going to try this without the honey this year and I'll brew it up on Memorial Day weekend. I've made it every summer for the last couple years, but I'm going to try making it a little more sessiony this time.

Brewed this yesterday but made a few changes. I went 50/50 pale 2-row and pilsner for base malt, and used 100% Willamette for the hop additions. I also had a few LBs of regular honey left over from another brew so I added 1LB of the regular honey at flame out and added the zest of 2 oranges with the black pepper at 5 minutes left.

Brew was poured into the carboy around 1PM and rehydrated Belle Saison was added. Fermentation was visibly very active by 7-8PM, bubbling the airlock once per second. Excited for this one!

I also brewed this yesterday. Well, kinda.

I hopped with Pacific Jade and Huell Melon and used Mangrove Jack's French Saison yeast and added 1 oz Orange Zest at 5 min.

Hop schedule was the same. But changed Sorachi for Pacific Jade and the Fuggles for Huell melon.

I ended up missing my mash temp and mashed at around 145-146. Ended up hitting OG of 1.063. Really excited for this one. Currently fermenting away at 75 degrees.

Welp, this is first for me. My fermentation temp got out of control and went up to 82f, actual beer temp. Using Belle Saison yeast. Stayed at this temp for 24-36 hours. Hopefully it didn't throw off any esters that will kill the beer. :(

Dropped it into a swamp cooler and brought the temp back down to mid/low 70's.

Welp, this is first for me. My fermentation temp got out of control and went up to 82f, actual beer temp. Using Belle Saison yeast. Stayed at this temp for 24-36 hours. Hopefully it didn't throw off any esters that will kill the beer. :(

I think you will be fine. I have seen several people ferment this yeast into the 80's and it turns out great!

At what point in the fermentation process did you get up there? For a Saison low 80s probably isn't too bad. I doubt it killed anything.

At what point in the fermentation process did you get up there? For a Saison low 80s probably isn't too bad. I doubt it killed anything.

Within the first 48 hours. I know Saison yeast likes high temps so I didn't put it in my swamp cooler and just let it hang out at room temp (74-75f). After a couple days I took a reading during active fermentation and realized it was much higher than ambient, which is when I dropped in in the swamp cooler.

I guess I'll see how it turns out after a month or so. Not like I'm planning on dumping it or anything.

You'll pick up some fruity bubble gum esters with a bit of pepper at that temp. It wasn't hot enough to produce much fusel alcohol. The max temp for that yeast is 95f according to the manufacturer.

You may have a challenge finishing the attenuation on that batch however. A ten degree drop isn't helpful for the yeast. I'm sure they were shocked a bit by the temp swing. I'd let it have extra time to finish and let the yeast clean up off flavors. I'd probably try to warm it up a few degrees at the end.

I ferment most saison yeast between 74 and 82.5.

I'm planning to brew the original recipe as is in two weeks. When I enter all info into beersmith and set FWH as well as other hop additions I get 49 IBUs. Assuming I just need to scale down hop additions in order to hit the correct IBUs? Just not sure why same batch size and same amount of ingredients is giving such different numbers. Sorry if this has been answered already, I'm only up to page 77 of this thread.

I think I just found the answer to my own question. Mash volume and boil time difference are probably causing the IBU difference? I'm using 1.6 qt./lb. and a 90 minute boil.

Not sure about the pepper ? You just dump it directly in the boil ? No muslim bag etc ???

Currently Brewing this. (30 mins in the boil right now)

Slightly modified version (didnt have all the exact ingredients)

3.86 kg Pilsner (IMC) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.3 %
0.68 kg White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 12.2 %
0.23 kg Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.1 %
0.23 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
0.10 kg Honey Malt (Gambrinus) (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.8 %
14.17 g Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 9.0 IBUs
14.17 g Willamette [5.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 9.0 IBUs
14.17 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 6.3 IBUs
28.35 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 8.1 IBUs
0.37 kg Honey [Boil for 5 min](1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 6.7 %
0.10 kg Dextrose (Briess) [Boil for 5 min](1.0 SRM) Sugar 11 1.8 %
1.50 tsp Salt(POIVRE) (Boil 5.0 mins) Water Agent 12 -
2.0 pkg Belle Saison (Lallemand/Danstar #-) Yeast

Actually found Orange Blossom Honey, was happy about that.

...ferment at 68 degrees for 2 weeks, move the fermenter at that point to ambient room temp for another 2 weeks, for me that was 78 degrees in the brew closet.

Curious...did you rack to a secondary or leave the yeast for the second 2 weeks @ ambiant?

This recipe looks delicious!

Thanks, Brian

I brewed this on May 20 and was a little impatient; I kegged it from primary after 11 days. Gravity had not changed in 4 days at that point.

It has this weird off-flavor/aroma at the moment ... like a peppery hot dog.

The flavor/aroma is the strongest in the first few ounces (presumably the 2+ oz that are sitting in the keg lines). Additional subsequent pours have a much more muted presence.

If I let any pour sit for 5 or 10 minutes, the off-flavor/off-aroma diminish to the point that it tastes in balance. If a pour that "breathed" was the profile that was coming out of the keg I wouldn't have batted an eye and said the brew was a success.

Is this sounding familiar to anyone?
Should I be expecting it to age out?

While the aroma/flavor is definitely different, it reminds me of a kolsch I did earlier in the year that had a strong sulfur presence for a week or so. A combo of dipping some copper and bubbling off aroma with a bit of CO2 took care of that.

Thanks!

You're probably just tasting suspended yeast/settled yeast at the bottom. I bet it'll clear out and be fine.

Oh, and with that beast 3711, 11 days is plenty for it to finish. I bet it's fine.

Hey guys, I'm amazed this is still going strong, I've been busy with life lately and haven't gotten on here lately, anything I can help with?

@azscoob

actually, yes... in your original msg you say: "...
...ferment at 68 degrees for 2 weeks, move the fermenter at that point to ambient room temp for another 2 weeks, for me that was 78 degrees in the brew closet."

My question: Did you rack to a secondary or leave the yeast for the second 2 weeks @ ambiant?

This recipe looks delicious!

Thanks, Brian

Hey guys, I'm amazed this is still going strong, I've been busy with life lately and haven't gotten on here lately, anything I can help with?

Yeah man it's been a minute since you posted, since this is "the saison thread" i figured i'd ask here i brewed a mosaic rye with belle saison about a month turned out great but it seems like it is too clean it's missing that fruity funk i got when i brewed your recipe with wlp568, i fermented 68/70 is that too low or is belle a cleaner saison yeast?

You're probably just tasting suspended yeast/settled yeast at the bottom. I bet it'll clear out and be fine.

Oh, and with that beast 3711, 11 days is plenty for it to finish. I bet it's fine.

As I posted in another thread recently: I am not a patient man!

Now that I think about it, when I was racking to the keg there was a 1" yeasty/cloudy layer just above the cake as if 90% of the trub compacted but the last 10% hung out in that layer. I probably should have left it but didn't.

That being said, 24 hours after your response and the off-flavor is gone. This is dangerously good. I keep my taster glasses out next to the keezer supposedly to keep me honest ("I'll just grab a small glass instead of a pint.") All it does it make sure that I have to get up and get a little exercise every 4 oz, which seems to be happening all too often. Fantastic job @azscoob!

FullSizeRender.jpg

@rhaop most saison yeasts like a bit of heat to bring out the saison funk, I'd try a bit warmer. In fact I brewed my recipe once and fermented it out in my garage when I lived in Phoenix, the ambient temp out there was around 90, it was fantastic!

A friend asked me to brew him something Belgian for his 30th birthday party. I went with this recipe as I figure a Saison is what a lot of people think of when they think of a Belgian beer.

It clocked in at 7.8% ABV which is pretty perfect, for me at least. I like my Saisons in the range of 8%.
Had a beautiful gold color and tasted pretty much exactly as your tasting notes describe it. He loved it, as did most casual beer drinkers that tried it. I guess this kind of beer is not quite for everyone, but everyone that is at least somewhat into beer seemed to really like it.

Thanks for the great recipe!

Picking up the ingredients today. Should the white wheat malt be crushed separately or mill it all together? thanks

[QwkUOTkE=Abrayton;8029684]Picking up the ingredients today. Should the white wheat malt be crushed separately or mill it all together? thamilledsee232w2

wwith2

skore3eEIqee w=Trail;w]I mi3lledsee232 it all q. Came out fine. Ijn j b fine I mean delicious.[/QUOTE]
kore3e

I bottled my version with American Farmhouse a couple weeks ago. It sat for 4 weeks in primary, but I think the Brett was still working. I deliberately under-primed, and carbonation is excellent. Will report on fate of batch as time progresses. I bottled early to deliberately limit the Brett flavor - I like dry, not so much horse blanket. Continues to be an excellent recipe. I've now brewed with 3711, Omega Saisonstein (which was tasty) and now American Farmhouse. All were lovely.

Wondering which might work better for this recipe between prepackaged dried orange peel or fresh orange zest? I have seen several posts about lemon zest. In the end I will probably leave the recipe as is except sub table sugar for the honey.

Back