Cost of a good pint of ale in your area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsinger

Reaction score
I'm interested in what people are paying in other parts of the country for a good pint of ale.

My favorite (except for my own Singer's April Amber) is Mac & Jack's from Redmond, WA. It sells here for $3.75 a pint in just about every pub (the Seattle/Bellevue area in Washington State).

Average pint here is $3.75 to $4.00 for good quality ale. How about where you are from??

I live in Bend, Oregon (65,000) and we have the luxury of having 5 micro-breweries in this small town. It's like heaven. The world famous Deschutes Brewery, McMennamin's, Silver Moon, Bend Brewery, and Cascade Lakes. They all have a niche. Recently, the Deschutes Brew Pub has been serving a number of their beers on Nitro. Their Cinder Cone Red on Nitro is fabulous. Very British and terrific taste. Too easy to quaff too many of those babies.
The new McMennamin's Brewhouse (St. Francis School) is an awesome atmosphere. The Cascade Lodge is great - new and very nice. Silver Moon is making some great headway with a great Amber. And, Bend Brewery has done some very creative ales of late, including some nice Bocks, Porters, and Winters. Four of these are within walking distance of each other. It doesn't get better except for my two kegerators in the garage! BTW - Bend Brewery sells for 2.25 a pint on locals nights. Silver Moon 2.50 a pint. Great Brews.

Microbrew right down the street from me called Thunder Canyon which is a cousin of another in Colorado Springs (can't remember the name, it's on their coaster). $3.75 is their price. Good stuff, multiple awards. 2.50 happy hour and 2.50 all night on "Thirsty Thursdays" which is when I'm there for a couple of hours...

I'm in Montgomery, AL at the moment. They've got a decent brew pub downtown we've been going to about every weekend. They get $3.25/pint. Not too shabby.

I don't have a lot to say but I am just writing to second the greatness of Mac and Jacks. Just awesome. One place you might want to try to find it for a little cheaper than $3.75 is Wing Dome. I'm guessing that all three locations offer it at the same price but I prefer the Kirkland one the best. I'm not positive but I think it's a little bit less expensive there. Just a thought.

Stopped in to the Hon Bar last night after a bad day. Neighborhood place in Hampden, a neighborhood within Baltimore.

Ordered a Resurrection from the Brewer's Art. It's a belgian dubbel style, 7%ABV, just luscious.

Barkeep brings a 22oz glass, sez: three bucks.

score.

More good breweries than you can shake a stick at here in NorCal. In Humboldt County alone you have Lost Coast, Mad River, Eel River, Six Rivers and Humboldt Brewing. Mendocino County has just as many, as does Sonoma. Very good beer around here.

Pint prices tend to be ~$3-$4 or $2-$3 at happy hour.

in my opinion, that's ONE thing bad about TX. i've visited many parts of the country, but none is better to live in, than TX. IMO. but, the good beers here are hard to come by unless you live in Austin/Houston/Dallas area. i live about 1.5 hours east of Houston, so that's my "local" pub spot. we go to Two Row's (brew pub) and the Ginger Man in Houston when we drive over to get brew supplies. we pay about 3.25 to 4.00 for a pint. Two Row's craft brews are good, and the Ginger Man is just a tap house, with about 50 beers on tap. TX does have some good craft brews, but they are just hard to find in my corner of TX.
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

3 somethin' to pushing 4 in Vancouver, WA.
Most places have happy hour where you can get a price break.
The Icehouse bar sells mostly BMC and I have not been in there, but they have a big sign on the side pushing Widmer pints for 2.75 at happy hour.

A good microbrew here runs around 3 to 3.50 depending on which side of the bridge you're on, Duluth or Superior, WI.

There is an excellent microbrewery here, Lake Superior Brewery. They make a fantastic ale. Their kolsch is pretty good too. Both are reasonably priced compared to other micros. Otherwise, one has to look south towards the Summit brewery.

my "local" brew pub Two Row's in Houston just starting doing $1 pints all day Sunday! woo-hoo! $2 pints from 12 - 4 on Saturdays also. not too shabby......plus the food is PDG.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Hi guys !
Over here in the UK I pay £2.20 for a pint at my local pub, with a choice of three real ales. A nearby pub charges £2.30, and another up £2.45. It has a lot to do with which wholesale merchant they deal with. Dealing directly with a brewery is generally cheaper, but most of the brewers only want to know if the if pub is prepared to buy larger amounts or to stock thier whole range of products. Generally the keg beers are slightly cheaper than real ales, while lagers, Guinness, or ciders are around £2.40 to £2.80.
Apart from those who are tied to a breweries products, most publicans I know find it cheaper to buy wines and spirits from the local supermarket. The tax on all booze is quite high, so all prices would be much less without government regulations.
Mike, Lincoln. UK

Mike@Lincoln said:
Hi guys !
Over here in the UK I pay £2.20 for a pint at my local pub, with a choice of three real ales. A nearby pub charges £2.30, and another up £2.45. It has a lot to do with which wholesale merchant they deal with. Dealing directly with a brewery is generally cheaper, but most of the brewers only want to know if the if pub is prepared to buy larger amounts or to stock thier whole range of products. Generally the keg beers are slightly cheaper than real ales, while lagers, Guinness, or ciders are around £2.40 to £2.80.
Apart from those who are tied to a breweries products, most publicans I know find it cheaper to buy wines and spirits from the local supermarket. The tax on all booze is quite high, so all prices would be much less without government regulations.
Mike, Lincoln. UK

So Mike, how do you brew your beers? All extract, extract w/ grains, or all-grain? I brew here, like most homebrewers I guess, because I don't have the variety of fresh ales and lagers where I live. I have to go to Houston for a good tap house or brew pub. And you would think the 4th largest city in America would have more than one brew pub. Plus I can brew a 5.5 gallon batch for about $0.45-$0.50/beer. Plus it's an awesome hobby.

Glad your on the forum!
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Back