Cost Comparisons - What won’t screw me in the long run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevHTX

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

It’s about that time of year to upgrade my homebrew setup. I’ve been running a cooler mash/lauter and fly sparge system for close to a year now, and I feel like it’s time to upgrade the works.

I’m sticking to my 3-vessel design I currently have, so I’m starting to look into building the kettle, mash tun and HLT from old kegs bought off craigslist (as I’ve seen many home brewers do). I also plan on buying extra equipment such as a couple wort pumps, better sparge arms, etc.

While doing my research into how much it would cost to build the equipment (drill bits and a saw to cut out the top of the keg, along with weldless fittings) I thought that the cost to build all the equipment might not save me as much money as I’d hoped.

I looked up the SS Brewtech 10-gallon all-inclusive brewing system (I’ll attach a link below) and the savings on all the equipment seemed worthwhile than actually building all the vessels myself, so I’ve started to consider whether or not I should go with a package deal setup.

I’d love to hear anyone else’s thoughts and experiences with this! After I’ve purchased these upgrades I plan on fitting a RIMS system to the Mashtun, so that will be a factor.

SS Brewtech 10-gallon system:

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/10-gal-ss-brew-kit-all-grain

Here’s a picture of a setup from a local brewery that I’ve considered copying:
IMG_0248.JPG

System upgrades are always exciting to plan for! Not sure if you've seen our offerings yet but we have a couple options for truly turn key electric options. Our systems come with everything needed to brew as well as step by step assembly and use guides. We have a ton of hobby brewers as well as commercial brewers using our systems. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out!

https://spikebrewing.com/pages/spike-systems

I would look on Craig's list, offer up and other such sites as there is always someone who is selling brewing systems. I recently purchased a More Beer tippy dump system for half the price of a new one. Also a friend bought a single tear three vessel system with pumps, kettles and everything for under $1000. You might get lucky and find someone really motivated. Good luck. :ban:

It’s about that time of year to upgrade my homebrew setup. I’ve been running a cooler mash/lauter and fly sparge system for close to a year now, and I feel like it’s time to upgrade the works.
What are the issues with your current system?

What are the issues with your current system?

No issues with the current system, just hoping to upgrade all the works and make everything a little more streamlined. Hopefully increase efficiency while I’m at it.

No issues with the current system, just hoping to upgrade all the works and make everything a little more streamlined. Hopefully increase efficiency while I’m at it.
Don't expect newer, shinier equipment to necessarily improve your efficiency. It the new system has lower dead/undrainable volume in the MLT and BK you should see a small increase in efficiency. A "better" sparge arm likely won't make any difference (unless your current sparge water addition method is really awful.) If your current system has a braid in the bottom of the MLT, getting a good false bottom on the new system should also give a bit of efficiency improvement.

Brew on :mug:

^ what he said... I use a el cheapo bayou classic kettle MT with false bottom which has 3 gallons of space under it... since I recirculate at a very slow speed thru my rims (1.5-1.8gpm) the "deadspace" doesnt matter..The slow flow also helps prevent mixing and channeling which I believe is the weakpoint in most systems using the oversized 7gpm pumps for this. I also avoid compacting the grainbed and average 91% brewhouse efficiency over the last 4 years or so. I havent used my home system at all this year due to opening a brewpub and now brewing on a scaled up 3bbl version of my homebrewing setup where we get 85% average. (although I just had a new FB made which should help here)

I started with a homemade keggle and a igloo cooler.. worked very well but then I caught the bling bug and the engineer in me was never satisfied so my system kept evolving as I learned.

Latest posts

Back