Cosmic Punch (OYL-402) by Omega Yeast Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
For all the Europeans feeling left out of the discussion of the gene edited yeasts, White Labs have released WLP077 Tropicale Yeast Blend, a blend of "natural" thiolising yeasts which they discuss here :

They claim 100x the levels of 3SHA (grapefruit/passionfruit) versus WLP001, turning it from Resin, Dank, Pine to Passionfruit, Peach, Vanilla according to their sensory panel.

They also published this chart of beta-lyase activity. Aside from an iffy-looking result for WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale, the stars (or at least those with more activity than the Maxithiol control) are WLP830 German Lager, WLP400 Belgian Wit, WLP565 Belgian Saison, WLP037 Yorkshire Square (a Vault strain that's currently in production), WLP519 Stranda Kveik, WLP540 Abbey Ale IV, WLP410 Belgian Wit II and WLP039 East Midlands - Notty? Also a little shout out for a strain I have a soft spot for WLP041 Pacific which has error bars up to 3x Maxithiol even if its average is about 75% of Maxithiol (which is still a lot compared to most).
1666626778526.png

Last edited:

stealthfixr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just used Cosmic Punch on a Hazy IPA, along with Saaz whole cone hops in the mash (as Omega recommended) and Incognito Mosaic in the hopstand. Dry hopped to the Scott Janish recommended limit, and IBUs kept down to the 40s. In the past, this beer (using Imperial Juice) has been a hop explosion that I could smell as soon as the tap started pouring. In the past, the aroma was complex and reflected the hops used.

With Cosmic Punch, the guava/passion fruit aroma is amazing...but the 'normal' smells from Citra/Mosaic are muted. Used Star Party on a Pale Ale and got the same reaction--lots of guava and passion fruit, but not much of the Centennial and Cascade that I threw in dry hops. It's almost as if the hops don't matter nearly as much. Might be a selling point for a Juicy IPA, and a brewery might save money with this, but I feel like I am losing the lovely hops used.

So, much to my surprise, not sure I am going to use these thiolized yeasts again. Not a big fan so far.

OP
OP
sweetcell

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
lots of guava and passion fruit, but not much of the Centennial and Cascade that I threw in dry hops. It's almost as if the hops don't matter nearly as much. Might be a selling point for a Juicy IPA, and a brewery might save money with this, but I feel like I am losing the lovely hops used.
interesting, thanks for sharing your experience!

thiolized yeast + thiols does result in a specific flavor profile. hops that are outside that profile may be overwhelmed by the released thiols and end up hidden... if you're looking to highlight centennial and cascade, then yeah - a thiolized yeast probably isn't the right choice, since you want those hops in their original, non-biotransformed state :)

OP
OP
sweetcell

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

duelerx

Reaction score
Do cosmic punch and Helio gazer bring the same flavor profile with a any thiol precursor hop as saaz?

Also love the idea of playing with cosmic to bring marmalade notes for a bitter.