Correctly cleaning corroded convoluted copper counterflow contraptions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I just got a great deal on a Chillus Maximus and have found it to have a little bit of a green fuzzy corrosion at the in and out ports. I'm sure this is only from being dormant for a while.

Will OxiCLean get this out? Since it uses oxygen as a cleaner, will it contribute to further corrosion? I have heard of using vinegar when cleaning counterflow chillers, but I don't know the reason/purpose for doing so. What concentration should be used and for how long, how often?

(Yes this thread was also in morebeer.com's forum, but haven't had many responses)

The best all-purpose brewery cleaning I have used is PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash). This stuff is amazing. Kinda pricey, but worth it for the job that it does.

The convoluted copper chillers are really meant for use with a pump. I would recirculate PBW through your chiller with the pump for 10 minutes or so. That should take care of it.

Back