Correct positioning of poppet in keg post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
I just recently got 3 kegs from KegConnection .... this is my first experience with kegs and trying to figure some things out. One of the questions I have relates to how the poppets in the posts are supposed to sit.

On all 6 posts, I've noticed that the poppets are wedged quite nicely up into the post. So much so that I've needed a blunt instrument to push the poppets out so that I can clean them.

However, when I'm reassembling the posts - am I supposed to wedge them up there again so that they stick and dont fall out, or do I just slide them up there and not worry about them sticking up in the top of the post?

Not sure if wedging them stuck is necessary for their function? Or if I just put them in the post, and then put then bolt the post down on the keg?

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I just screw the posts on and as long as they don't leak I think that everything is fine.

So you dont mind if the poppets move about loose in the post when the post is off? I imagine when you screw the posts on that the poppets will be pushed into place...but wanted to make sure..since all the poppets were pushed on up in the posts when I got the kegs

That's the same way mine were, but I couldn't get them to stick back in there for the life of me. I had the same concerns as you.

I think that maybe they were jammed in there because no one had cleaned the things before, and maybe there was some dried syrup keeping them there?

The point of those things is to keep the keg from leaking right? as long as you are't losing CO2, then you should be fine. A quick spray with starsan should show you anywhere that CO2 is leaking.

The only reason they stayed in there is because they have taken the shape of the post, and been glued on from beer residue. New poppets will float and it can be tricky to get them to line up when you first install them. As long as they seal, it's fine.

So you dont mind if the poppets move about loose in the post when the post is off? I imagine when you screw the posts on that the poppets will be pushed into place...but wanted to make sure..since all the poppets were pushed on up in the posts when I got the kegs

I think when you get a keg shipped, they probably really crank those posts down when they pressure test them. Probably what causes the poppets to stick in the groove. As long as they seal when you reassemble the keg, you are good.

Memory may be old, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the older Firestone kegs had a little ledge in the post that the poppets clipped onto?

only papa time and residue sticks them in. a new one, taken out and soaked every few times the keg is emptied will always fall out. just screw the post on slow until it seats, then give her a 1/4 turn with the wrench. and don't forget the lube on ALL rubbers including the poppet noses.

Memory may be old, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the older Firestone kegs had a little ledge in the post that the poppets clipped onto?
You are absolutely correct. There is one that is designed that way:

D49b.jpg

It takes some doing to get the poppet out and then when inserted again it must be seated back onto the ledge or it will not seal.

Back