Correct Brewing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jua164

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing beer. I'm using kits at the moment and was wondering what time periods most people use for fermenting. I'm leaving it for one week for Primary Fermentation and then a week for secondary. Then I'm kegging it. Do these times seem right? 2 weeks in total befor kegging

Lots of us use the "1-2-3" method, as in one week in primary, two weeks in secondary, and three in the bottles. Since you are kegging, disregard the "3."

But the only true way to find out whether or not its time to bottle (or keg) is to take hydrometer readings. Take readings on two or three consecutive days. If they stay the same (and if you seem to have reached your target F.G.), then keg away!

I try and use the 1-2-3 method, though I've let the primary slip. I take a reading when I move it to the secondary and, so far, I've been at near my expected FG. I bottle after two weeks in the secondary, though I do check the FG; so far, the bottle-day has been the same as it was at the end of the first week. If I wasn't at or near target af the primary then I'd probably do additional tests before bottle day.

Rick

Thanks for your replies. I'll try 2 weeks in the secondary. I do take the SG

Back