"Corporate" Brews being excluded from Tap/Bottle lists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Saw this article about a high end DC area pizza chain:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-are-booting-corporate-beer-from-their-taps-

Local brewer Devil's Backbone is now excluded as well as Founder's and Wicked Weed.

I went on their website and noticed they are charging $10 for a 12 oz draft and some
beers are $8-9 for a 9oz pour.

I'm not sure I'm on-board with their ideas, but it doesn't matter, I'm planning on going there any time soon.

So should bar owners reduce customer's choices because of some kind of perceived wrongdoing by large brewers?

Should consumers be reduced to Goose Island & Sam Adams as their Craft Choice?

I traveled to Canada from NJ and the only IPA i could get on tap at the restaurant we went to was Goose Island. Tell me craft beer isn't getting kicked off taps everywhere for that. I ended up ordered "Whatever" you have that is local. It wasnt an IPA(my favorite style) but i had a pretty deliciosu beer made a few blocks away from the restaurant.

It's their business, they should run it how they please, so long as they obey the law. They can't carry every beer in the world, so they've already made choices limiting your selection. Doesn't sound like the sort of place I'll be visiting anyway, with those prices.

I love it when the 'imported beers' list includes such exotics as Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada. And the waitstaff genuinely thinks 'ipa' and 'craft beer' mean the same thing. Smile, be pleasant, and gently educate them if you can. Try not to laugh where they can hear you.

Any bar has the right to ban whatever beers they want.
If it costs them too much business the banned beers will reappear.

Looks like they are trying to make a statement and support the small brewers. No different than restaurants that source their meat and produce from small farmers.
If they really wanted to support the little guy they'd tone down those prices so that the little guy could afford it, but I suspect it has more to do with creating some cachet for the restaurant chain than being altruistic. Plenty of people in the Beltway who can afford $10 beer pours, anyway.

Back