Corona vs Knockoffs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
So I'm starting to look into a grain mill and don't want to spend a ton of $. Been doin some research on the Corona but I'm wondering if anybody has some expeirience with some of the other corona style knockoffs which I can seem to find a little cheaper here n there...like a benecasa and others.

Do the knock-offs work as well as the corona or does anybody have any opinions in regards to why the corona may be the better of the low-end low cost grain mill options?

seems that most homebrew stores are carrying the Corona as the low end model but I don't see many other manufacturers

I used a Porkert as my original grain mill and I absolutely loved it! I used a large funnel to expand the hopper capacity up to holding an entire batch and I motorized it with a drill. I'm sure the barley crusher fanboys will be chiming in any moment now so I will also say that I got mid to high 80's for efficiency so there is absolutely nothing wrong with corona-style mills. If you take your time getting the initial gap set you'll never have to mess with it again.

2128332W01L._SL160_.jpg

Thanks Brad....I've done a corona search here and have read some of your earlier posts about it and thus is one of the reason's I'm considering it....Have you heard much about the Corona Knockoffs? differences...similarities?

I've heard some references to one called a Victoria and it worked well. I think you'll find they're all pretty much the same and the only differences being hopper size or whether not it has a shield over the grinding plates. I would guess you'd be OK with any corona-style mill, but I only have my own experience with the Porkert to compare to.

It's all good... I am just ribbing you...
I am getting ready to order my Monster Mill, so I have
read many of the threads in here on the subject, and know
why you threw out your joke...

It's all good... I am just ribbing you...
I am getting ready to order my Monster Mill, so I have
read many of the threads in here on the subject, and know
why you threw out your joke...
No worries. :) I actually switched to a monster mill myself and I love it! I bought mine before they had all the extra options so I just have the basic 2 roller 1.5" with the 0.5" drive shaft but it does a REALLY nice job.

I never had any complaints at all with my corona-style mill, I was just given a free motor around the time of my birthday when I was given some money for brewing purchases so I figured it was a good time to upgrade. :D

I use a Victoria, and I'm happy with it. The link Fratermus posted has good info on tweaks. I was lucky enough to not need to tweak, with the exception of doing the drill mod sometime in the future.

The biggest problem you'll have is getting the plates parallel if they're not.

Diablotastic,

I bought that same mill on ebay and am getting great results. The mill is heavy cast iron and total "chinese" rough workmanship. I threw out the wing nuts as they were horrible quality and replaced from Ace hardware for a couple of bucks. I came up with a great method for mounting it on a bucket, and motorized it w/ an old 1/2 drill. Gives a good crush and rips through grain in no time. I'll try and post a photo of my set-up. If you have any trouble let me know? Some times these crude mills take a little tweaking but once set, they work great IMO.

Diablotastic,

I bought that same mill on ebay and am getting great results. The mill is heavy cast iron and total "chinese" rough workmanship. I threw out the wing nuts as they were horrible quality and replaced from Ace hardware for a couple of bucks. I came up with a great method for mounting it on a bucket, and motorized it w/ an old 1/2 drill. Gives a good crush and rips through grain in no time. I'll try and post a photo of my set-up. If you have any trouble let me know? Some times these crude mills take a little tweaking but once set, they work great IMO.

Yes, please post your set up. I bought the same mill and tend to not be very handy. :eek:

Thanks.

chefchris,

What problems are you having w/ the mill? I'm doing a pretty fine crush, yet sparging is not a problem w/ a braid.

I'll try and post a photo of my mill.

Mike

chefchris,

What problems are you having w/ the mill? I'm doing a pretty fine crush, yet sparging is not a problem w/ a braid.

I'll try and post a photo of my mill.

Mike

Well... no problems yet ... it just shipped today. :D

I just wanted to see how it was mounted and how he hooked up the drill.

Latest posts

Back