Corona setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't bother to measure a specific gap, it's hard to keep a particular gap size across the circular plates. Instead I just dump a test scoop of grain into the hopper and adjust until I'm happy with the crush. It takes me about 5 extra minutes, but I always get the crush I want (and it's really not hard to do).

I tend to start wide and adjust until I get close, then go by 1/4 turns until I dial it in.

With the manufacturing tolerances on a Corona mill, I doubt you could measure the gap accurately. When I used one, each time I dismantled it for cleaning, I tightened it all the way, then backed it off a bit (I can't remember how much). then adjusted in small increments until the grind looked good.

-a.

There really isn't a 'gap' measurement for the Corona-style mills. All you can do is keep tightening it until you see most of the grain hulls getting shredded and a lot of flour. If you have hit this point, back it off.

Corona-style mills can be adjusted to work very well, but you have to fiddle with them to get them just right.

Can anyone tell me the "ideal" gap setting for a corona mill?

As others have noted, the tolerances of the Corona don't really allow for niceties like accurate gap. The first cup of grain gets sacrificed to the Barley Gods so that they may indicate The Correct Setting. Chanting and libations may also be helpful.

:)

I've started collecting tips for Corona milllers which might or might not be helpful.

As others have noted, the tolerances of the Corona don't really allow for niceties like accurate gap. The first cup of grain gets sacrificed to the Barley Gods so that they may indicate The Correct Setting. Chanting and libations may also be helpful.

:)

I've started collecting tips for Corona milllers which might or might not be helpful.

You know a couple of links on there are dead...the beer advocate article and one of the pics.

Is overgrinding going to effect anything, other than possible stuck sparge?
Also, do different malts grind differently, like a 2 row vs. black patent or roasted barley?
It seems that anything dark grinds finer with my Corona if I leave it at the same setting.

Back