Corona Mill Grind

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Brewed 2 batches thus far with the mill. Last batch was a South Pacific IPA, I think it turned out pretty awesome but my paranoid taste buds question a hint of tannins...(some days I don't detect it and other days I do which makes me think I'm being overly critical). I BIAB, pour 2 gal of 160 deg sparge water over the bag. Control pH with bruin water calculations. So I know tannins won't come from temp or pH issues. Any of you corona mill users think this is too fine of a grind & possibly too mush husk shredding? This is for my pale ale I plan on doing today. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457274698.489071.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457274713.287861.jpg

I haven't found tannins to be an issue, and I brew lighter beers such as Helles and pilsners. I have also had my beer tasted by others and nobody noted tannins.

If you watch your pH and temperatures during the mash and sparge, you should not have any issues with tannins. In the many brews I have entered into competitions, I have never had a comment on tannins or tannic flavors in my beer.

South Pacific IPA

Tannins are often perceived as a bitterness, or acidity. Loads of hops can easily make you question where you are getting that perceived feeling from. As mentioned, if pH and temps were all in line, you've likely nothing to worry about. Crush looks fine, BTW.

Tannic flavors were long criticized as being a result of corona mills. Allowing grain particles into the boil kettle was also a huge no-no. I think over time, both of those have proved to be little of an issue on the homebrew scale. Kind of like "every beer must be moved to secondary".

Cool, thanks for the reinforcement. I thought I was being overly critical but just wanted to be sure!

Back