Corny poppet valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
I kegged my stuff last July 4. I hooked up the CO2 and let the keg sit at serving pressure (about 12 lbs). Tried it on friday and the beer was a bit flat. I cranked it up to 20 psi, shook the corney a few times during the night. Saturday, I pulled a glass, was satified with the carbonation, so I lowered the psi down to 5 psi. Well, sunday night, when I went to pour a glass....nothing. I look at the regulator on the CO2 and the tank was empty. Today I went and exchanged the CO2 tank, hooked it up and pressurized it to 20 psi. The poppet valve was leaking. So, I pull a valve from another tank, put it in and put 20 lbs to it.....leaks even worse. So, I pull the lid from the other keg, exchange it with the one on the keg, install the original poppet valve and gas it. I leak checked it with some soap, maybe still leaking from the poppet (seems to push out the soap from the bleed holes every once in a while, but may just be air trapped under, not sure). Anyway, I've left it at 20 psi, turned off the CO2 bottle and will check to see if it is still holding 20 psi in a few hours. I was wondering what pressure is a poppet valve supposed to release at? The ones I have are not new, but have been used a couple times..... all the kegs had CO2 pressure in them (hadn't been used in a couple years) so I thought they were probably good.

Allan

I think you're talking about the releif valve (in the lid) and not the poppet (in the post) ?

From http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/html/corny-keg.html

The lid contains a pressure relief valve, which can be manually opened to vent excess CO2 pressure from the keg. This pressure relief valve also serves as an emergency overpressure valve, automatically venting CO2 if the pressure exceeds the maximum safe pressure of 130 PSI.

So they shouldn't bleed at any pressure you're using for HB.

specifically, use Keg lube. you don't wanna melt seals or make anyone sick with the wrong lube.

Back