Corny Kegs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionalChaos

Reaction score
So I figured kegging would be worth getting into, but I didn't want to pay much money for anything. After laying out for my stuff initially, I figured I would try to keep my expenses low for a while. So I posted a wanted ad on craigslist saying I was looking for old soda canisters.. The other day someone emailed me, and after talking with them a bit, I figured out they had about 12 kegs they said I could just come by and pick up. So thats what I did last night! I gave him all the home brew I could spare, and told him I'd give him more in the future. He gave me 12 kegs! My car is packed. I'm giving some to a couple other home brewers around here, but plan on keeping at least 6 for me. What a score though! I was pretty pleased :) :mug:

I'v had luck with just going up and asking a coke truck driver for his empties. I'v stopped and asked about 6 different trucks there were unloading full ones to stores, all of them said they would gladly give me one if they had any, but only one driver actually had 2 to give me.

One guy said that if i ever see any laying around to go ahead and take them.. hah

Dang! I think I've seen your add a few times on my search for more cornies, I wish I would have thought of doing that cause I'm paying $25 for them at my LHBS.

Chello said:
I'v had luck with just going up and asking a coke truck driver for his empties. I'v stopped and asked about 6 different trucks there were unloading full ones to stores, all of them said they would gladly give me one if they had any, but only one driver actually had 2 to give me.

One guy said that if i ever see any laying around to go ahead and take them.. hah
What kind of stores still get their soda in cornies? I do think I've seen one in a long time outside of having beer in it.

Talked to the coke driver who delivers here. He says they have stacks of them lying around and will have a surprise for me next time he sees me. Well wouldn't you know the cafe is being remodeled so he must be delivering on the other side of the mill because I haven’t seen a coke truck in 2 months? Just as well I have 2 ball locks now, but if I had access to a large amount of pin locks I would covert in a flash.

Liquidicem said:
What kind of stores still get their soda in cornies? I do think I've seen one in a long time outside of having beer in it.

The coffee shop across the street from me uses cornies. One was labeled "carbonated soda water". So they weren't using it for the syrup I guess.

The ones I scored are pin lock I think. Haven't looked them over too well yet. I don't get it though.. Aren't Pepsi / Coke reusing the kegs? Why would they make a really nice ($$) container like that and only use it once? I assumed you could exchange empties for fulls, similar to a normal keg or gas canister..

I posted an ad for a co2 canister earlier today :D

RegionalChaos said:
The coffee shop across the street from me uses cornies. One was labeled "carbonated soda water". So they weren't using it for the syrup I guess.

The ones I scored are pin lock I think. Haven't looked them over too well yet. I don't get it though.. Aren't Pepsi / Coke reusing the kegs? Why would they make a really nice ($$) container like that and only use it once? I assumed you could exchange empties for fulls, similar to a normal keg or gas canister..

I posted an ad for a co2 canister earlier today :D

Most of the soda distributors and parent companies are switching over to a "bag in a box" style container that are disposable. More for us!:tank:

Back