Corny keg won't seal, what to do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiber_Brew

It's about the beer.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was kegging 10 gal of beer yesterday, when I noticed one of my corny kegs has a damaged lip and won't hold pressure. The lip is beyond my fixing, especially since it's $30 to get a replacement. I was thinking, though, what should I do with this one? Surely there's some part(s) that are worth salvaging, or maybe someone else wants to try to reshape the lip to restore it back to working order?

Thoughts?

TB

Is it the lid or actual keg? I had that problem once...and noticed it after I filled the keg :(. I tried a hammer and everything else to get a seal and couldn't work it out.

Several options
1) replace lid
2) Buy a used corny keg and use current poppets etc as a makeshift rebuild kit
3) bend lip back into place and test the seal

Several options
1) replace lid
2) Buy a used corny keg and use current poppets etc as a makeshift rebuild kit
3) bend lip back into place and test the seal

1) lid is fine, gasket is brand new
2) I did buy a couple more kegs, but they come with new gaskets, so a rebuild would be redundant
3) tried that, no luck...

Perhaps I'll yank the poppets and gaskets and throw the rest away, unless I come across anyone that thinks they can fix it... Hmmm.... now that I think of it, that stainless dip tube might be worth salvaging...

Thanks for the replies!
TB

1) lid is fine, gasket is brand new
2) I did buy a couple more kegs, but they come with new gaskets, so a rebuild would be redundant
3) tried that, no luck...

Perhaps I'll yank the poppets and gaskets and throw the rest away, unless I come across anyone that thinks they can fix it... Hmmm.... now that I think of it, that stainless dip tube might be worth salvaging...

Thanks for the replies!
TB
Tiber_Brew,

Don't scrap it yet, It's more than worth a shot. How about a couple of pictures? I might be able to handle it.

how about pioneering a corny keg transformation?
Hopback?
Counterflow/pre chiller container?
mini keggle?
fermenter?
brew weapon holster? (spoons, paddle etc etc)

I'm really loving the pre chiller idea. Have it coming in and out on the sides and drill some drainage holes too.

get a torch and heat that sucker up RED HOT then form back into place

-=Jason=-

Come on Tiber, take a quick break from brewing and snap a picture or two. It'll be worth it.

Or ship it to me and I'll just fix it and return it.

I can't get a real good shot, but you can sort of see one dent here. There are a couple like this. I think I made it worse with my hammer....:drunk:

DSC00412.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
TB

Oh, and uh, thanks for keeping me honest, P-J. ;)

Sounds good P-J. I'll have to put a couple bottles of homebrew in the package to keep the keg company for the journey.

Thanks for offering to help! I'll try and get this shipped out soon.

TB

I hate to revive an old thread but I just racked into a corny keg that I haven't used before last night and I have the same problem with a deformed lip on the keg. I tried swapping several different lids in different directions and was unable to get a seal. I was trying to pressurize at 12 PSI. I wanted to see what was a good method for re-working these lips.

Hit it with 30+ psi, that always works to seal mine that have issues. If they need a little 'convincing', a rubber mallet helps.

A small crescent wrench, used GINGERLY, can reshape the keg lips back into a flat "plane", if the 30 PSI and "convincing" with the mallet doesn't help.

Adjust the jaws to the thickness of the metal, slip it over the edge, and GENTLY, re-shape in the direction needed.

Back