Corny keg top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
I got 2 issues:

1. Got a new keg that was "pressure tested". While cleaning it today there appears to be a slight leak from the lid no matter what I do. Not sure if it is the o ring or damage to the lip.

2. The top surrounding the same keg seems to be "old" and my hands get all black from handling it. Anything I can cover this with ir paint it?

Put some pressure on the keg and spray with soapy water. That will help you identify the leak. If the posts are leaking you may have to replace them. O-ring sets are pretty inexpensive and may help. Sometimes kegs may leak until they get some pressure on them. Once I have 10lbs in there it stops leaking.

Most used kegs have that black substance on the handles. I always wash them with soap and warm water and a scrub sponge all over the outside. Seems to clear it up.

Yep, I almost always replace the o-rings. Make sure you are using some sort of lubrication for the rings as well. Most shops sell a food grade lubricant. Even then, some of my kegs leak if the lid is one way and not the other. I mark mine with a sharpie so I can make sure I put the lid on oriented correctly in the future. I clean my freshly arrived kegs with a sponge and some sort of powder cleanser (AJAX, Bar Keepers friend, etc.) This seems to take care of the black crap getting all over your hands. Sounds completely normal for a keg purchase.

Thanks! Anybody have a filter on their diptube for transferring out of the fermenting corny to the conditioning corny?

Back