Corny Keg Post Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I removed a keg post for cleaning and it is now somehow cross threaded and I think it is on the post. How do I re-thread (correct) the threads??

I'd hate to discard an otherwise good keg...

Thanks

Remove and inspect to see which threads went south. Post is an easy replacement...keg is another matter. Try hitting both sets of grooves with a sanitized brass brush. 'Finesse' any thread burrs with screwdriver. Apply Teflon tape, Tighten and test.

Well first, I like your tag line. I'm working on mine waistline as well.

I've tried other connectors to no avail, it must be the keg and I cannot see the defect. I don't want to ruin other connectors trying to force it. There must be a tool, or method to recreate a proper thread.

Thanks

Not sure if this is the case. Some kegs have different threads, and only the same threaded post will work, of course. Maybe it had the wrong post when you got it.

It's easy to see if threads are crossed. +1 on teflon tape (or pipe dope) to lubricate the threads when using some persuation.

No, on the teflon tape and pipe dope on there, those threads don't need it.

Look real close with a strong light and a magnifying glass, on both sides, (post and keg).
As someone mentioned, make sure you don't have the posts mixed up, (out to in, in to out) .
On the keg side, if you see a blemish or dicked up thread, you can dress it with a small, 3 corner file, and make sure to remove all the filings before you try it again.

Here's a good link for thread sizes, for the different manufacturers kegs:

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

If on the keg side, you could always try to borrow a die of the proper size, and try to "chase" the threads, that is if the die will go down far enough, and not bottom out on the keg body before cleaning up the threads.

Good luck!

No, on the teflon tape and pipe dope on there, those threads don't need it.
Actually a very small amount of Teflon paste pipe dope could be worthwhile. While it isn't necessary to seal the connection (because o-rings are used to seal the mating surfaces) a very small amount can serve as a lubricant to prevent galling.

Actually a very small amount of Teflon paste pipe dope could be worthwhile. While it isn't necessary to seal the connection (because o-rings are used to seal the mating surfaces) a very small amount can serve as a lubricant to prevent galling.

True that, it is prone to galling!

I usually use a drop of mineral oil on mine.

Back