Corny Keg Lids??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
I think I am lucky, still not sure. Recently while digging through an old barn (Mother in laws) I found 2 Corny kegs and 2 CO2 bottles from an old Soda Fountain set up.
The CO2 bottles are red and have Coca Cola stamped on them. The kegs look dinged up but no worse than the keg I just received in my brew kit, except that they have no lids. I am sure the rings are shot, may have been stored for several years.

Question: Is it worth tracking down the "Oval" lids and rings? Also, what are my options with the CO2 bottles?

First brew day is tomorrow!!!

I'm sure you can get lids and seals from morebeer or Northern brewer or Midwest.

The CO2 tanks should be fine if the certification date is still good.

Linc

I am having trouble locating the "Oval" lids....I will keep looking.

Thanks for the help!

+1 on the Kegconnection. They do have the lids for corney's I just bought one because the feet on one of mine were screwed up.

Hawgbranch said:
Question: Is it worth tracking down the "Oval" lids and rings? Also, what are my options with the CO2 bottles?

No. it's not worth it the lids are going to cost about the same as what you'd pay for an intact used cornie. I generally pay $16-$20 for my cornies.

The CO2 bottles belong to Coca Cola or Coca Cola Enterprises you may be able to find someone that will test and fill them for you, but a whole bunch of folks won't touch them.

abracadabra said:
No. it's not worth it the lids are going to cost about the same as what you'd pay for an intact used cornie. I generally pay $16-$20 for my cornies.

Holy moly! Where are you getting these?!!!

:tank:

I just bought a replacement lid for a cornie from Kegconnection, $14. With shipping, cost me almost - but not quite - as much as a new keg, but really, what good was a lidless keg to me anyway?

I think I have an extra lid - or maybe even two - kicking around in my basement. You are welcome to them for the cost of S&H, which shouldn't be more than a few bucks, I wouldn't think. However -- I don't believe they have pressure relief valves, so they might not actually be of any use to you. They came with some oddball size/connection Cornies I picked up off CL.

Let me know.

devaspawn said:
Holy moly! Where are you getting these?!!!

:tank:

You just gotta be patient, deals come up. People will post them on this site sometimes.

Ebay often has deals.

www.homebrewing.org had kegs for $20 Dec. 2007

The kegs I got for $16 I read about them on this forum. They were single handle kegs but they work just as good as the dual handle kegs.

Is it because the CO2 bottles are "Stamped" Coca Cola because just about every used Corney I see has Pepsi, 7UP or some soda brand on it.

I am not even sure how my Mother in law ended up with this equipment.

As for the kegs it seems it is about as cost effective to just order used Corneys. I see the replacement lids at the vendors recommended here just no "Oval" lids.

Where are you finding $16.00 kegs???

Thanks Everyone!!

e lo said:
I think I have an extra lid - or maybe even two - kicking around in my basement. You are welcome to them for the cost of S&H, which shouldn't be more than a few bucks, I wouldn't think. However -- I don't believe they have pressure relief valves, so they might not actually be of any use to you. They came with some oddball size/connection Cornies I picked up off CL.

Let me know.

I guess I would need the pressure relief valve huh? I am suffering from noob fever so I am not really sure. I sure would like to have them in rotation though. I notice that the keg I have has the release valve.

Back