Corny Keg Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hello,

I changed gaskets/orings on one of my corny kegs but the locking lever it's on the soft side so I am a bit concerned it's not putting enough pressure to close it tight. Is there a way to make the lever apply move force ?

Thanks!
Q
:confused:

You can put something under one of or both legs when closing the lever. I've heard some people do pennies or dimes but whatever you have will work. Also make sure you use keg lube. That stuff is amazing.

I think most of the pressure comes from the co2 pressure inside the keg, I know when I put my lid on I actually center it without even locking it down and hit it with 20 or so psi to seat the gasket. once I have done that its hard as heck to get the lid back off. When I use gelatin to clear I have to keg the beer then get it really cold then add the gelatin. When I go to add the gelatin I purge all the pressure off with the blowoff valve and still have to hit the top pretty hard to get it off. So long story short I don't think you need that much pressure on it.

You could try to persuade the lever or its legs a bit in a vise. Or do what Rockn said, pennies, dimes...

It is the inside pressure that should provide the seal, not the clamp. Lube is indeed amazing. :D

Sidenote:
One of my kegs had a razor sharp edge and burrs at the mouth. I took the dremel with a sanding drum followed by a bit of fine sandpaper so I wouldn't cut myself again. Big difference!

Is the lid "soft" when the keg is empty and not under pressure? or even when filled with beer and CO2?

I have had that problem before in the past and worried as well that I would go through a tank of CO2. I haven tried using pennies or dimes (a lot of posts suggest that). I have replaced the feet though on occasion, you can get them pretty easily online or at your LHBS.

Keg Lid Feet.jpg

However I mostly just fill them with beer, make sure the o-ring has plenty of keg lube and fill it with CO2. That usually seats the lid, then I just spray the seal with starsan and check for any possible leaks. So far I haven't had an issue. All of my 5 Gallon kegs are used...just an FYI.

Thanks all for the quick responses... I will try pennies till I find the legs. Another friend suggested that I'd rotate the current one to get by - thought that was good idea too.

I don't have keg lube but I use the food grade silicone grease.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBH9HI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's "soft" when it's full/empty/uncarbonated but I do see the point that if there are no leaks the pressure inside is pushing the lid out creating the tight seal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back