Corny keg lid leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXGuitar

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at kegging. I was washing out my keg today-filled it with water/soap, put the lid on and began to shake. Water began to come out of the top. I held the keg upside-down and, sure enough, water was leaking. I replaced the O-ring with a new one but it did not solve the problem.

One thing I noticed is the amount of water that leaks varies when I reseal the lid. Sometimes it's gushing and other times it's quite minor. Could I be doing something wrong when I seal the lid or is it defective?

Brain dump.....

make sure the inside lip of the keg is clean, as well as the gasket and the lid itself, no particles or crusties.

Use keg lube on lid o-ring and smear a little on inside lip of keg

try turning the lid 180 deg.

Some kegs only seal when under pressure so while it may leak now, it may seal when pressurized.

Was it under pressure when you bought it? If not then maybe it's a dud.

If all else fails contact the seller and ask to exchange or return it

I think that just about covers it, I had similar issues, but then closed the lid while the CO2 was hooked up and it sealed just fine.

Remove the "O" ring and check how the lid seats in the corny, if it rocks the corny or lid is twisted, out of shape or has a ripple around the sealing area. Correct the problem then try it again you should be fine. In some cases I find the lid only fits one way being warped or twisted the corny and lid together. If this happens I use nail polish to mark the lid and corny top to quickly assemble or index.

Plastic feet on keg lid are often worn out, this keeps the correct force from being put on the lid. Replace the feet if worn or temporarily put some shims under the feet when locking the lid down.

You want the keg to seal with the minimum amount of pressure allowing the clamping force to better seal than forcing the "O" ring out of shape to get it to seal. True the gray end caps wear away as well the clamping legs can also be bent up not appling enough pressure. All this is in the corny tuneups before placing them back into brewing service.
I have a 3/8" steel plate plasma cut out matching the cover's profile to check the corny opening that it's flat not twisted up. Many lids are pounded down and dented in when Pepsi tried to seat the "O" ring from leaking in a hurry, even the corny top has been damaged with this attempted caveman sealing process. I've saved all the so called useless leakers purchased at $5 each. Investing some time repairing them has its rewards.

Remove the "O" ring and check how the lid seats in the corny, if it rocks the corny or lid is twisted, out of shape or has a ripple around the sealing area. Correct the problem then try it again you should be fine. In some cases I find the lid only fits one way being warped or twisted the corny and lid together. If this happens I use nail polish to mark the lid and corny top to quickly assemble or index.

+1 something I missed

The 3/8" steel plate tells all as I can pull it up inside the corny then run a
0.0025" feeler gauge around the sealing lip to see if it's flat then check the lid on the same steel plate adding corrected measures as needed. This little detailing effort has been 100% successful with 29 corny's. They will seal without the bail locked down under 5 psi, with the bail locked down at only 1 psi no pounding on the lids like Pepsi would do to stop lid leaks.

Back