Corny keg black plastic bleeding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oteixeira

Reaction score
So whenever I grab these things I end up with nice black hands that I then need to scrub with a scotch brite pad. How do you all handle this? Or is this just a downside of having cornys?

Orlando

Mine don't bleed on my hands after I use a scrungee and PBW on them. They still will mark the floor or sink. I've heard scrubbing them with peanut butter will stop it, but I've never tried it.

Mine bled the first couple times I cleaned them, but once the old oxidized rubber comes off, they pretty much stop.

Mine bled the first couple times I cleaned them, but once the old oxidized rubber comes off, they pretty much stop.

Good to know, I just got them at a good deal (20 each) and they hold pressure, but they weren't pretty, and actually had nasty old stuff (soda, I hope) in the bottom, so I put them in a tub full of hot water and oxyclean, then after I scrubbed the sided I set them upright and filled them with oxyclean and hot water. That is when I noticed the black hands.

Orlando

old thread, but my kegs are marking up hands, fridge, bathtub, floor, walls. my live-in cleaner (do not tell her i said that) is losing patience. the marking comes off easily enough but i seem to have developed an ability to get black gungey marks in places the kegs don't even fit, in rooms they never visit. i tried scrubbing them with a scouring pad but that just seemed to increase their capacity for distributing the black gunk.
help

.....but i seem to have developed an ability to get black gungey marks in places the kegs don't even fit, in rooms they never visit.....

That made me laugh.

I get the same thing when the wife catches me with greasy hands after working on the car. Somehow there are marks in rooms I didn't ever visit.

Oh, and I have the same problem with the kegs. I scrubbed mine with a green scouring pad and oxyclean. They still make marks. I just use my other ones that are newer.

I heard "Back-to-Black" by Mothers works. I'd also be inclined to try tire shine (silicone) or mineral oil, though I've tested neither.

After a thorough cleaning to remove the deteriorated top surface, rubbing it down with an oil will prevent further deterioration. I used vasoline on mine.

damn. this is the first time i've seen this problem on here. i thought i was the only one. glad to hear a few potential fixes. i'll try a few of them and see what works!

pressure washer soap till no more black comes off ( works good for the inside also)
8 quarters usually is enough to do 2 kegs and my truck.
not sure if the wax helps with oxidation of the rubber but it makes it look nice

Back