Corny Keg - Airtight but not watertight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioa84

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently purchased 2 used ball-lock kegs online to start my kegging adventure. When the kegs arrived, I unpacked them and started to clean them. I took off the lid, put in some oxyclean and hot water and put the lid back on. When I started to shake, water started leaking from the lid. Since I'm a new to kegging, I have no idea if this is normal. I took the lid back off and inspected the o-ring. It looks ok but I decided to replace it just to be safe. The keg still leaks around the lid. When I put co2 to the keg, it is airtight. No liquids leak and I don't hear any CO2 leaking. This makes some sense to me but I am still thrown off by the lid leaking water. Is this normal or should I return the kegs(that could be a pita).

Thanks in advance,
Audioa84

If you buy the red silicone gaskets from McMaster and your lids are worn out (most are) they will seal no problem without pressure. Like everyone else said, a little pressure will make any keg seal. Don't forget the keg lube either.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9396k926/=11gz88k

Chris

Thank you all for the replies. I planned on using lube when I put it back together. I'm just glad to have confirmation that everything is ok. Cheers :mug:

Back