Corny fermenter - reusing / harvesting yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
Just began corny fermenting running a trimmed dip tube sitting just right to extract all but a couple ounces of beverage leaving all the sediment

Last edited:

mashpaddled

Reaction score
You could pour the excess out as long as you do a good job cleaning and sanitizing the opening. You don't want some of the trub to make it to the lip and then slide back with some unwelcome yeast/bacteria.

Another option would be to scoop it out. If you have a somewhat soft plastic or silicone cup or ladle you could scoop out what you don't need.

I don't really love any options with keg fermenting to reuse or harvest yeast. For that reason, I tend to clean out the keg and start over with a fresh pitch every time.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How about tipping the keg towards the diptube and pressurize it until it clears.
Or add a bit of fresh "base juice" swirl the keg and push some out then fill with new juice?

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A five gallon keg is either 22" or 24" tall.
If you are using a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg, I suppose it would work fine, but again the floating diptube is a cheaper option.

What yeast are you using and how many time are you planning on reusing it, out of curiosity?