Corny Ball Lock Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-Brew

Reaction score
I am working on my portable 5-gallon corny setup, and came across the tap faucet that attaches directly to a ball-lock quick-connect. This is basically eliminating a picnic tap. Anyone ever use one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZZRR3K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have read that some people have had success, yet others have not been able to tackle the foam problem (certainly from the lack of beer line between the keg and faucet). If you do/have used these, what pressure do you typically run your CO2 at to have a decent pour? Any other suggestions on this gadget would be greatly appreciated.

--Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one and like you mentioned, foaming is an issue since there is basically no resistance. What I do is turn the pressure down to like 2 or 3 psi - just enough to dispense. I find that if I'm bringing beer, it doesn't last long enough for the lower dispensing pressure to be an issue. You could always try and add line to the output tube (inside of the corny) or get one of those epoxy mixer things people were using for a while, but I found them to be a pain since the beer rarely last more than 1 night.

Also, if you already have a faucet and liquid disconnect, it is cheaper to just by the adapter for the faucet ... http://www.leeners.com/homebrew/store/beer-faucet-adapter.shtml

When I don't feel like lugging my 95 quart pelican jockey box around because it's so heavy I just use a picnic tap. I can dig why having a faucet instead of a picnic tap will look cooler but I just don't see how you could get good pours even with the pressure way down with such short of line to travel.

Carluchi, I like your idea about the mixer rods. I haven't used them before, but it seems like it would be a logical application for them. Thanks.

Doc, I have had the same concern. Obviously a faucet would present a little nicer, as I am sure many people who bring home brew to dressier functions would understand. The good old trash can, ice & picnic certainly get us by, but I am trying to get a little creative. Not excessive, just nicer.
However, I can see why such a beefy jocky box has its limits.

Thanks for the input

I've been using one for years. It was already mentioned to turn down the pressure to 2-3 psi first. It works great.

Dr Hops,

That is encouraging that you have had success with it for a while. As a follow-up question though, if your keg does not kick when you bring it somewhere, do you have any issues re-carbing, or just throw it back on a higher pressure for a few days?

If it doesn't kick I just throw back in the fridge under 12 psi and within a day it's fine.

If it doesn't kick I just throw back in the fridge under 12 psi and within a day it's fine.

This. Been using the faucets mounted to a ball lock connector for quite a while. I use a C02 cartridge style injector. Uses 2 cartridges per keg typically, just give it a small puff as needed.

as long as you start the evening with a properly carbed keg, you can drop the pressure to the point of getting a good poor with no noticeable loss in quality. If the keg doesn't kick, just hook it to your big bottle in the kegerator, and all is well.

Cool. Seems like this is a good piece of equipment; just have to make a few adjustments for it. Thanks again guys!

Back